12

╭──────────.★..─╮
  Chapter Twelve
╰─..★.──────────╯

The first few days living at Johnny's was certainly a slow adjustment. The first morning Elsie had woken — in Johnny's bed, placing himself on the couch instead — before him and practically tiptoed out the door for work without having to interact with the man.

It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him, but rather her mindset still had her feeling like she had woken at home, and her tiptoeing was something of importance if she didn't want to anger anyone with sounds while they tried to sleep.

When Johnny went to check on her that morning and found his bed empty his heart twang and he panicked, thinking she had up and gone during the night; but upon seeing that her charger and wallet still sat on the bedside table, he calmed.

When Elsie got back from work he noticed her hesitance when entering the flat and she seemed shyer than usual.

"Are you okay?" He had asked her while he began to cook their tea.

Elsie bit her bottom lip. "I just feel a little like a burden."

"Hey," He chuckled. "I'm the one that urged you to stay. You're not a burden at all."

His reassurance was something Elsie didn't know she needed, but it helped her more than she thinks he realises.

On the second morning when she woke and ventured outside the bedroom she found Johnny already in the kitchen with a coffee pressed to his lips as he focussed on a piece of paper — something work related she assumed.

She was the first to greet him, a warm sensation pooling in her stomach when she saw his face light up upon seeing her, grinning as he held out his own cup to her.

"It's hot, I haven't drank out of it yet." He had said, and before she could decline the offer he continued. "You start work earlier than I do, I have plenty of time to make another."

She smiled warmly at him and took the mug from him as she took a sip and closed her eyes from how comforting the warmth of it was to her. Johnny watched her and pursed his lips for a moment, wondering how someone could possibly be this adorable.

Every morning for the next week was spent with Johnny making Elsie her morning coffee and his signature pancakes as he had called them, basking in each others company before they had to part for work.

Elsie was coming around to Johnny's initial offer to stay with him permanently. She very much enjoyed his company and having a safe environment, but there was still something that was making her hold back on making a final decision, and every time she thought about it she would grow nervous.

There was undoubtedly some sort of tension between her and Johnny, hell, it had even been verbally established along with the physical confirmation when they kissed for the first and only time.

She couldn't deny that whatever was going on she liked, but she also feared that maybe Johnny was playing some sort of game to get into her pants. What if she moved in with him and she was forever going to be someone he fucked purely out of convenience?
Somewhere in the back of her mind she told herself that he'd never do that, that this version of Johnny — the only version she ever knew — was the real him.