14/2

╭──────────.★..─╮
  Chapter Fourteen.two
╰─..★.──────────╯

Standing adjacent the mirror in Johnny's— or rather her and Johnny's room, Elsie stared at the black dress she'd bought earlier that day, hands wiping the creases away even though they'd been gone after the second swipe, she seemed to be doing it out of nervousness now. She just needed her hands to be busy so that her mind wasn't so full of anxieties and cast her into a spiral.

Tonight was their first offical date and Elsie couldn't stand the thought of looking nothing less than appealing for Johnny; the thought of him possibly thinking she didn't look nice haunted her, even if she knew that was virtually impossible; he wasn't wired like that.

She took a final look in the mirror, forced herself to smile and made her way to the living room. Johnny sat patiently on the couch, his phone in his hands, thumbs tapping away at the phone screen before he saw Elsie in the corner of his eye and turned to look. His breath caught in his throat so badly he'd almost choked audibly.

"Elsie..." He trailed off, blue eyes running down, then back up as he took her in completely and stood from the couch. His hands found her face, cupping her cheeks as he smiled. "You look beautiful."

Immediately her cheeks blushed and she smiled before using her hand to push his face away teasingly. "Shut up Johnny."

He laughed. "Not very good at taking compliments, are you?" Moving his hands back to his sides. "Ready for the best date of your life?"

Elsie smiled warmly. The only date of my life, she'd thought to herself. She nodded and linked her arm with Johnny's, following him as he lead her to his car. He was a perfect gentleman; opening Elsie's door for her, buckling her seatbelt despite the obvious confusion in her expression (she didn't think anyone outside of a novel did this), and opening the door again once they'd arrived at the restaurant he hand deemed appropriate.

Elsie's eyes glimmered with amazement at everything she peered at as they were seated. She'd never been somewhere so elegant, so... grown up. Her parents of course had never taken her out before, even when she begged them as a teen for just one night out with them; her mother always overruled her father and dismissed the need for her parents attention.

Johnny stared at her silently, smiling to himself as he saw how happy she was. Her interest in everything around her fascinated him, but also saddened him.

"So, how'd I do?" He asked her, smiling warmly as she bit her lip in an attempt to contain some of her excitement.

"So far?" She teased. "I'd say you're doing perfect, Johnny."

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Elsie moved around Johnny's kitchen with ease, grabbing the things she needed to make supper from their proper places. It had been three months since their first offical date, and yet everyday seemed like a new adventure with her boyfriend.

The front door creaked as Johnny arrived home from work, his masked Lieutenant trailing in after him before locking the door.

Elsie turned to greet them. "You're home!" She beamed, taking Johnny into her arms and placing a sweet kiss to his slightly chapped lips. She then turned to the other man. "Simon, hey! You guys are just in time, dinner's ready."

Simon nodded in reply before making himself comfortable on their couch, boots up on the coffee table before Elsie sent him a knowing look, to which he playfully rolled his eyes and removed them.

"El's," Johnny said, kissing her one last time before pulling away to arms length. "I got word today of a new operation. There's a fair chance I'll- we'll be shipping out in the next few days." He told her, signalling between himself and their masked friend.

Elsie's stomach dropped. She nodded. "I'll worry about you, you know?"

Johnny chuckled and stepped closer to her again, arms slinking around her. "I know. But you know I'll always come home to you."

A/N:
God.. this writer's block is really kicking me in the ass.