15

Heaving a heavy sigh, Elsie sat on their couch, lazily shovelling spoonfuls of her dinner into her mouth with one hand, the other on the TV remote as she flicked through channels. To say she was bored was an understatement, or maybe it was the loneliness she felt now that Johnny had been gone for almost two weeks. She even missed Simon, despite his usually cold demeanour, he was a comfort whenever Johnny dragged him home with him for a beer.

Elsie groaned in annoyance, turning the device off and sitting the remote down next to her, staring down at her now empty plate, her mind thinking of only Johnny. She hoped he was okay; she even prayed for him, knowing full well that she didn't believe in any Gods or higher power, but if it brought him back home to her she didn't care.

Kirby — their new addition to the family — seemed to notice her owner's saddened mood as she jumped up onto her lap, trilling and rubbing her fluffy head against Elsie's chest in an effort to soothe her.

Elsie chuckled. "I know, I know... I'm worrying again." She spoke to it, bringing her hand up to stroke along the cat's back, earning an approving meow from Kirby.

Kirby laid down in her lap and began kneading the skin on her thigh, tilting her head back to look at Elsie. She smiled down at her.

"What would I do without you? Hmm?" She'd said, to which Kirby purred louder, almost like she knew just how much Elsie loved her.

Peering up at the clock on the wall, the long arm just past 10, she yawned and moved the cat to the side of her so she could stand. She found herself in the kitchen, packing the things she'd used for her food into the dishwasher and turning it on. She'd just finished tidying up when her phone vibrated in her back pocket, its ringtone playing soon after.

Her heart jumped at the familiar caller ID.

"Johnny?" She answered him sweetly, leaning against the kitchen counter as she tried to contain a wide smile.

"Hiya El's," He said, the tiredness evident in his voice, something she frowned at but chose not to mention. "How's things? You doing okay?"

The sincerity from him only made her heart beat harder, but she couldn't help the way her eyes watered when she remembered that he wasn't here in person, that he was posted god knows where putting his life at risk.

"Yeah, I'm okay. What about you? Are you safe?"

He chuckled. "Never safe out here. I'm doing fine, El's. Don't worry."

Kirby jumps onto the counter, a loud meow following right after as she stares up at the phone, eyes confused as she could hear her second owner's voice. Elsie laughs with Johnny, who had obviously heard the cat.

"Sounds like she misses me more than you," He joked, an attempt to lighten the tension in their call. "Might have to kick you out onto the couch when I get home."

"Like hell you will!" She laughs and strokes Kirby on her tiny head. "We have things to catch up on when you're back."

Johnny, with his phone up to his ear, raises his brow and smirks mischievously. "Oh? And what.. things would we be catching up on? Hmm?"

Elsie frowned sarcastically. "I can literally hear Ghost talking in the background, I am not having phone sex with you." She argued, to which Johnny just chuckled.

"I'm only pullin' your leg, Els." He assured her.

A silence fell between the two now, both drawing a blank on what to talk about as they suffered in the longing feeling they'd been subjected to. Elsie bit her lip and wiped her eyes, catching any tears before they were able to fall.

Johnny sighed. "I miss you." He said quietly, like he didn't want anyone but Elsie hearing — words only meant for her ears. She smiled and though he couldn't see it, he just knew it was there.

"I miss you too Johnny. A lot-"

"Oi, Mohawk. We're movin' out!" A voice boomed in the background of Johnny's phone. He cursed almost silently.

"Listen, I've gotta go. But I'll call you soon, aye?" He talked fast, and before she could reply, he'd hung up. Leaving everything in silence again, Elsie stared out into the lounge to where Kirby was now lurking and blew a slow breath out her nose.

She wished Johnny would come home soon.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

The door to the house opened slowly, pausing every so often when the door began to creak at the hinges, not wanting to be heard. Closing it was easier, less creaking and less weight on his shoulders as he lowered his duffle bag onto the floor where the shoe rack sat.

The house was as dark as night, every light off except for a nightlight in the bedroom as it shon under the door and reflected off the floorboards. This illuminated the path down the hall and to the door enough that he didn't bump anything on his way, thankful as he opened the bedroom door and stepped in.

Still trying to keep quiet, he slipped his boots from his feet and tiptoed to the sleeping mass in their bed, smiling warmly to himself at how beautiful she looked while resting. So innocent looking.

He raised his hand and cupped her cheek, thumb rubbing softly as she begins to stir from the change. She groggily opens her eyes, immediately focusing on the looming figure above her. She was about to panic, to scream at the intruder, but she recognised him.

"Johnny?" She asks, still not entirely sure if she was dreaming.

He smiles at her. "Hiya Els."

His voice was enough of a confirmation for her, now wide awake as her excitement boiled over.

"Johnny!" She yelps, grabbing his arm and pulling him onto her, arms and legs wrapped around him as she kisses him.

When they part, he scoots to the side of her and pulls her flush to his chest, hand on the back of her head protectively.

"I missed you."