Ch 6: The Verdict

Lily's sentence was death by sunlight execution which was set to take place the following morning. In the meantime, Anna went to see her, outside. She was placed where the first rays of sunlight would undoubtedly reach her. The sunrise would be the last thing Lily would ever see.

'Hello Anna,' came her sad voice, was this remorse?

'Hello, Lily.'

'I'm sorry for what I did, if you'd never got amnesia; I'd probably never have done it. The Master had always warned me of what would happen if I didn't get a grip on myself. I don't blame you; it was my fault, my stupidity,' she paused, 'can you forgive me?'

'I already forgive you.' Lily gave her a small smile.

'Can you do me a favour?' she asked, a tear running down her face.

'What kind of favour?' Anna asked, suspiciously.

'Can you look after him? Take care of him forever?'

Anna stayed quiet; she knew Lily wasn't finished yet.

'Can you love him, for me, if not for yourself?'

'I'll try.'

'No please, this is my dying wish.' For the first time since Anna had arrived to see Lily tied up to die, Lily looked at her, right into her eyes, and Anna looked right back into those tear-stained eyes, 'please.'

Anna didn't know what to say, she could feel her anger rising, 'where is he?'

Lily stared at her, 'where's who?'

Anna was about to say "Dracula", but thought better of it. If she was going to try, like Lily wanted, she'd better call him something else. Taking a deep breath, she almost blurted it out, if she hadn't managed to carefully push it past her lips.

'Our lord and master,' - lily gasped, with hiccups, because of her crying - 'why, who did you think I meant?'

Lily smiled, 'thank you, Anna, I appreciate it, and I know that was hard for you.'

'So, do you know where he is?'

Lily nodded, another tear running down her face, 'his in his chambers. He said he'd come and see me later.'

Leaving Lily to herself - much to Lily's protest - Anna went to find Dracula.

She slammed her hands down on the table, causing Dracula to jump involuntarily. Turning his head to see who it was, he saw Anna.

'Anna, what's the matter?' he asked, cautiously. How had she gotten in, without him noticing?

'I'm giving you two choices,' – he frowned – 'either you bring her inside, or I will!'

'What are you talking about, Anna?'

'Lily, I'm talking about Lily!'

He stared at her, obviously not understanding. Slowly he rose from his seat by the fireplace and cautiously approached her. When he reached the table, he saw how furious she really was. Gently he placed his hands on hers, she didn't even twitch, nor did she remove her hands.

Strange.

Although he didn't lean onto her hands, he did move his face closer to hers. She didn't seem to mind.

'What about Lily?' he asked softly, but Anna raised an eyebrow, so he added, 'I'm going to go see her shortly.'

'Then you can bring her in with you.' Her tone implied that this wasn't a request.

'Where do you get off ordering me what to do?' he asked, raising an eyebrow. He'd tried to keep his tone as level as he could.

'Since you had Lily put out there, tied to a bloody post!'

It was dark outside, and cold, though it didn't bother him, not in the slightest, he liked the cold; it had a nice soothingness to it.

He was watching her, as tears flowed down her face. Tied to a post, Lily was obviously extremely disheartened.

'Lily,' he said softly. He was standing to her left.

'Master,' she whispered back, barely moving, she didn't even open her eyes to look at him.

'Lily, look at me,' he said even softer, so soft that, at first, he thought she hadn't heard him.

Slowly she opened her teary eyes, 'you shouldn't even have come out to see me; I'm not worth it.'

He gently touched her cheek, but she shied away from him, 'I'm not worthy of your touch.'

Coming close to her, he whispered, 'I determine who is worthy.'

He placed his right hand against her left cheek, and when she moved away from his touch, he gently placed his other hand on her other cheek, turning her face towards him, before he placed his lips softly against her forehead.