Ch 25: Flooding Memories

Anna runs into the relocated Frankenstein's laboratory. When she sees Van Helsing readying to pounce on Dracula, she doesn't know what makes her do it, but she runs to the vampire. As she runs, she drops the cure. As a large clock strikes the last stroke of midnight, Van Helsing leaps at Dracula, but seeing Anna between them, he tries to avoid her.

'No!' shouts Dracula, watching in disbelief. Van Helsing not able to stop hits Anna into the sofa, and immediately backs away, as Dracula advances. Touching Anna's cheek with his hand, he feels her life force draining away, but he can't let her go, especially since he hadn't gotten the chance to tell her how he felt.

As he leans towards her neck, Van Helsing growls a warning, drawing Dracula's attention away from Anna.

'Your time is up Gabriel, the last stroke of midnight has passed; now you have no choice but to obey me.' It is hard to tell what Van Helsing is thinking or feeling, but the Count knows and is ready. Van Helsing strikes at him, only to be stopped by two fingers from Dracula.

He smiles broadly, as Van Helsing growls his disapproval. Dracula commands him to leave the room and to come whenever he is called. Van Helsing reluctantly leaves the room as Dracula moves closer to Anna.

He hated the idea of biting Anna without her consent, but he had no choice if he wished not to lose her. Wishing that this could be different, and knowing how angry his beloved princess would be with him, he lengthened his sharp canines, preparing for the bite before it was too late.

Anna opened her eyes, looking into someone's face, as soon as she realises that it was Dracula, she pulled away, and falls off the bed to smack against the floor – at least it had a nice thick rug to cushion her fall.

'Anna, are you alright?' She could hear the worry in his voice, but she didn't care, she hated him for what he'd done, even if it was a long time ago - she would never forgive him. Dracula helped her up, and when she went to pull away, he wouldn't let her go.

'Let me go!' Anna shouted, still trying to escape.

'No, not until you let me know that you're ok, and tell me what's going on?' Anna suddenly stopped struggling. She didn't understand it herself, she had gone to sleep thinking that she could escape the past, but instead, she'd had a dream about the past. The strangest thing was that in part of the dream, it was as if she was Dracula, she had heard all of his thoughts, and felt all of his feelings.

'Why did you bite me?' she asked suddenly, surprising herself. She shouldn't have asked, the answer was in the dream, or memory, or whatever it was. Dracula gently turned her around to face her. As soon as her eyes met Dracula's she really wished that she hadn't asked. There was a powerful look in his eyes that she wished not to face, his words even more so.

'Anna,' Dracula caressed her cheek, 'I have, and always will love you, don't ever forget that.' He gave her a warm smile, even if she didn't look too pleased about it. She pulled away from him and got out of his hold.

'I'm going back to bed,' she said, ignoring him. Dracula watched her thoughtfully, not sure of how to take her reaction. Anna laid back down on the bed and tried to get to sleep, instead, she has a flashback, this time it wasn't like the other one, this was her memory, and it was not a dream since she couldn't fall asleep.

Anna recognised the room; it was the living room, and she was standing near the fireplace. She could see the moon shining through a high window, bathing the room with a dim light. She knew that this was after her argument with Van Helsing and the passionate kiss at the ball. She found Dracula half asleep in his chair by the fire. Anna leaned over and kissed him, by his reaction, she'd caught him off guard, however, Dracula's next move surprised her; she felt his arm wrap around her and pull her off her feet and onto his lap, pulling her close to him, she revelled in the closeness. She felt their lips part, as she opened her eyes, finding that their faces remained close.

'What is it you want now?' she heard Dracula say, and for the first time, she realised how much that hurt, but she understood why he said it. She couldn't hide how much his words had hurt her, it showed visibly on her face. She didn't know what to say, or how to say it, but she whispered, 'just you,' hoping that he'd hear the truth in her voice, she meant every word, even if she had trouble admitting it.

Anna stared into Dracula's eyes, he was smiling at her, as she slipped off him, her hand taking his, leading him away, she let go of his hand when he stood. She started walking backwards as Dracula followed.

Dracula came closer, as she backed up further. This continued until her back came in contact with the bedroom door, Dracula's bedroom door - causing her to jump - as the Count continued to approach. When he was close enough for his eyelashes to touch her skin, he kissed her.

After several moments - she knew not of how long - he suddenly picked her up, breaking the kiss. With her in his arms, bridal style, he opened the doors and carried her to his bed, the doors closing behind him. Anna knew she could not open the doors, that she was now stuck there with Dracula. For some reason, she didn't care.

As he softly laid her down, she said, 'we're a little hasty aren't we?' To which he only smiled, as his lips pressed gently onto hers. Although Anna wasn't completely sure of her feelings for him at that moment, Dracula knew how she truly felt deep down for him.

Tenderly pulling his lips from hers, he stared to gently nibble her left earlobe. Anna, who had not fully understood her feelings, and was trying to deny the truth of that kiss at the ball, that had sparked an argument with Van Helsing, soon realised who it was she truly loved. When Dracula had stopped nibbling, he moved to kiss her, but Anna reacted first. She started kissing him like mad, and though the Count was surprised, he kissed her back just as fervently.

She looked so sweet and innocent as if she was sleeping, but Dracula knew that she was awake, he always knew when she was sleeping. Sitting beside her, he leans over her, and gently kisses her lips.

Anna makes a soft noise, as he continues to press his lips upon her. He places his left hand on her waist, slowly moving his hand along her side, to rest against her neck and left cheek. Gently pulling his lips from hers, he opened his eyes, Anna lying there eyes closed, was motionless and silent, she did not even draw breath.

Dracula, not moving his left hand from her skin, waited for some kind of response. Watching her carefully, he sees her lips move as if she was going to speak. He moves closer, as he once again kisses her. The soft noise she had made before came again, but louder and more prominent, he recognised it as a sound of contentment. Gently breaking the kiss, he moved back, but only a breath away.

Anna slowly opens her eyes, and for a moment her vision is blurred. At first, she does not know whom she's seeing before her, though it doesn't take long for her vision to clear. Seeing Dracula so close, she is shocked and moves away, so abruptly that she almost falls off the bed, but Dracula grabs her and pulls her away from the edge, bringing her towards himself.

'Leave me alone, Count.' Although it upsets Dracula, to hear her call him "Count," he ignores it, and holds her close. He knows that tone of voice, she isn't angry about him holding her, which he finds strange, but seems calm about it. Her anger subsided, she leans back into him, and he pulls his arms tighter around her.

Anna's eyes were heavy, as she tried to wake up. She felt strange; feelings of warmth, comfort and safety. She felt as if someone was holding her close, their arms around her protectively as if afraid someone might hurt her, and only if she was kept close to them, that they would feel that she was safe. The strange thing was, Anna felt that feeling was somewhat mutual.

Opening her eyes, she finds herself in a very cosy bed, and there really is someone holding her like that. Normally she would be surprised to find Dracula holding her, even angry and outraged, but it didn't seem to matter anymore, he made her feel safe as if no one would dare hurt her if she was close to him, and although she wouldn't admit her true feelings, she wouldn't push him away, or try to avoid him anymore.

She turned her body, so that she was facing him, and cuddled closer, causing Dracula to pull her closer, into a firm but gentle hold.

----

Continued in Part 2.