Chapter 1. The Awakening

My day started at around 6 O'clock in the morning when my wife's alarm clock went off, I did my usual and rolled back over in hopes of slipping in another hour of sleep before I had to get ready for work. I laid in bed for another 10 minutes and then was startled by the sound of my wife Heather screaming from down stairs. I jolted out of bed and threw my jeans on and rushed down the stairs as fast as possible. "Baby what's going on?" I asked my wife. She didn't say anything but rather grabbed the tv remote and turned the volume up. At first I thought it was just the regular morning news but what I heard come out of the news reporters mouth sent me into a state of panic.
"That's right folks, you heard that absolutely correct, a zombie apocolypse of some sort is raging through our city. The infected look normal and healthy just like us but they are hostile, and seem to want everyone dead."
"Well fuck" I said. "This is bad"
"I'm scared Dylan" Heather said with a tremble in her voice. "Are we going to die?"
"What? No, we're going to be fine." I reassured her. "Remember when we first met and I told you I'm a doomsday prepper?" 
"Yeah"
"Exactly my point. I already had plans made for any kind of disaster that could happen and I have a plan for regular flesh eating zombies. Whatever these are, they definitly seem to resemble zombies so we might have to modify the plan slightly but we'll be fine" I said to Heather
"Ok baby, I trust you, I know you'll keep me safe. Your the greatest man I ever met and thats why I fell in love with you. You always know how to get us through anything life throws at us."
"I love you too honey, ok so here's the plan. I'll grab the survival backpacks I made out of the attic while you pack up any canned food we have." I explained. "Once I come back down from the attic I'll help you pack the food and we'll load everything into the truck"
"Ok baby" Heather replied
I started making my way towards the stairs to our attic while I could hear Heather back in the kitchen digging through the pantry. I climbed into the dust filled attic where I have dozens of survival bags preppared for any situation, all neatly arranged on shelves and all labled on what situation they are for. I made my way over the section of shelves I labled as "Zombie/Alien/Bioengineered plague" and grabbed the 2 military style bags and carried them back to the kitchen. By the time I got back to the kitchen Heather already had most of the food packed into a tote.
"Wow you packed that really fast baby!" I Exclaimed
She giggled "well I wanted to get it packed as fast as possible so we can leave. I'm thinking of it as like a perminant vacation or a really long road trip and it's getting me excited to go."
"You never fail to make me happy in any situation" I told her.
We finished packing the food up and I began carrying it out to our garage where my truck was parked. I loaded the bags and the food into the bed, and I grabbed the 5 gas cans I had had in the corner and put them in the bed as well.
"Ok honey, the truck is loaded, I still have to get the tent, do you think we'll need anything?" I asked
"We didnt pack any clothes. I'll go pack our bags while you get the tent." Heather replied
"Sounds like a good plan to me" I said
Heather went back upstairs to our bedroom to gather our clothes. I stayed in the garage to load up the tent and search through my what seemed like endless shelves of tools and survival gear. While digging through the shelves I found a few portable phone chargers and flashlights, and grabbed all of them and put them in the truck.
A few moments later Heather came back into the garge with 2 suit cases full of clothes and I loaded them into the bed of the truck.
"I believe that's everything" Heather said.
"Ok, so we're ready to head out?" I asked.
"Yes we are baby" Heather replied
"Alright, lets rock and roll" I slipped my sunglasses on and hopped in the drivers seat.
"Alright baby, time to give em' hell" I said to my truck as I turned the key. The truck roared to life as I hit the button to open the garage door