Chapter 3 - The Story of Razzle and the Car Crash

When the Crüe's fame and audience grow in the coming months, Melody has second thoughts about being the band's assistant. When the arrival of Hanoi Rocks drummer Razzle joins in on the band's mayhem, a fatal tragedy strikes them...

~

"How's the tour, sweetheart?" Mom asked me on the phone when I was backstage. "I hear that the fans are enjoying the shows!"

Let's see, how were things going on with the tour? 

Firstly, I had to bear witness to destroyed hotels, notorious bad behaviour, groupies after groupies following us everywhere (hotels, tour buses and backstage of all things) and did I forget to mention the day Tommy sucker punched his former girlfriend Roxie after she hurled a slur about his mother? Not to mention that Nikki was sleeping with her without his knowledge.

"It's going fine, Mom," Was my answer and lie. "Everything's under control."

"Are you sure about that?" She asked with that concern in her voice. "You sound like you had been in a fight."

"Don't worry about it. I'm fine. I mean, work is so much to take on, unlike a rock star. It just seems so easy for them."

"Remember, you've been on the road for a few months, Mel, baby. For a band like Mötley Crüe, you're going around places, like Europe and Asia, things I never got to do! The best thing you can do right now is to face the music. When you finish, why don't you take some time off? I can't wait for Christmas!"

"Well, they end the shows late in May. I'll send you pictures."

"Aww, you sound so grown up, my little girl! Be careful and stay safe."

But things did change for us that year. Vince got himself married to Sharise Ruddell, a mud wrestler from a club we were parading in, Tommy's already venturing out to find love and luckily landed with Heather Locklear and Nikki – well, let's just say he's got his issues. And Doc hired me to become an assistant for them.

In his words:

"You're responsible for whatever trouble they get into, better or worse. Just make sure you keep them in check."

Like I didn't remind myself that for the last millions of times, they decide to cause havoc.

🎵

Things went down south when Hanoi Rocks came to the US to play their first American shows – and to join the circus of Mötley Crüe's trouble.

And this was one incident that nearly cost us everything.

It all started when we were all at a bar and Razzle, Hanoi's drummer, approached us at our table. I still remember his accent that used to humour me because he's in Europe and seemed like a nice guy:

"Mötley Crüe!" He called our attention. "You all all right?"

We stared at him like he was some random bozo trying to rip us off.

"Razzle. Hanoi Rocks," he introduced himself and our faces lightened a little.

"What's up, man?" Tommy greeted, fist-bumping him and pointing to the rest of us. "I'm Tommy, this is Nikki, Vince, Mick, and Melody."

Already he had his eyes fixated on me.

"All right, love?" Razzle greeted, taking my hand and placing a kiss on it.

"Nice to meet you, Razzle. So, what brings your band here?" I asked, already engaging in a conversation.

"We're touring the States for the first time, mate."