Chapter 2

"So what you're saying is..." The Colonel frowned, hands on his hips. His tail whipped back and forth in an agitated motion.

You and Quaritch had been called into a meeting with General Ardmore. She explained why she was reassigning you to the Colonel; something about not wasting your avatar, despite your different qualifications. You'd tag along with Quaritch's team to teach them the Na'vi way of life. The Colonel's latest mission was to hunt down some Na'vi 'terrorist'. Ardmore's approach to this was by blending in with the Omaticaya people.

The man didn't seem too pleased with the arrangement. He was leaning over the General's desk, glaring at her as he spoke. You were kind of glad he voiced his concerns, God knows you're not confident enough to oppose the General.

She turned to face you, as if reading your mind, and gesturing her mug your way. "Well let's get Y/N's opinion on it, then." She took a sip with a smug grin.

The Colonel looked down at you with furrowed brows, his face nothing less than disparaging. You suddenly felt small, despite your newfound height. You shook your head, trying to ignore the man. "I just think I should do what I came here to do.. that's what I studied for."

Quaritch gave an approving grunt before turning back to the woman who seemed to be holding herself back from snapping at the two of you.

"Look. These Avatars are my property- my funds. Either you do what I say, or we shut down the programme." She warned with a scowl, placing her mug down beside her.

"What!?" You yelped, completely by accident. It was unfair. She was basically threatening to kill you- and all the recoms if you didn't comply.

You looked her in the eye before huffing and nodding. "I'll do it."

"That's a good girl," She chuckled, "You're excused."

You nodded in defeat, exiting the room with the Colonel close behind you.

He placed his hands in his pockets as you walked side-by-side. "I'm not gonna go easy on you, I hope you know that."

You whipped your head around in slight annoyance. "I wouldn't expect you to, sir."

He seemed to appreciate this response, his expression softening for a moment before he glanced at his watch. "Chow time. I'll take you down to the mess hall."

You rushed to keep up with his quick pace, muttering a thank you.

"And stop being so damn formal. You're part of my squad now, rookie." He chuckled to himself, glancing at your frame with a wandering gaze.

You looked up at him with a slight sparkle in your eye. "Okay," you beamed.

When you reached the cafeteria, you paused. It was animated by the hundreds of scientists and soldiers lining the seats in the centre of the room. Lyle noticed your gaze and stood from his stool, waving you down frantically.

"Jesus.." Quaritch growled.

You waved to the corporal in response, giggling at his enthusiasm. It was nice to know someone wanted to hang out with you.

You joined the queue after Quaritch, feeling a little bit like a lost puppy amongst your rougher colleagues. You watched as the man asked for everything they served; mash, peas and heaps of other slops you were sure were meant to be meat-based.

Suppressing a gag, you faced the woman behind the counter who wore an exasperated expression.

"Uh.. can I have some of that, please?" You pointed to a dull green vegetable of sorts, not completely sure what it was.