Chapter 8: A Bargain Struck

The dinner was filling, but the conversation was most definitely lacking. After the light flirtation, Aveline had not brought up any other topics. Erik had ceased talking, as well, opting to watch her finish her meal. When she was finished, she gently placed her napkin back onto the table and sat back into her chair.

"You are satisfied?" he asked. He was sitting back in his chair too, elbow on the arm rests and hands clasped together.

"Yes, thank you," Aveline politely replied. "What time is it now?"

Without averting his gaze, he reached inside a breast pocket and pulled out a beautiful sterling silver pocket watch. His eyes darted down to read the time, and then returned to hers. "It's nearly ten o'clock."

"In the evening? Already?"

He nodded in response and placed the watch back into its spot.

"Why did you have me running around in circles, searching for those black roses?"

"Punishment, amusement, revenge, nostalgia...choose whichever motivation you please."

"But you thought I was my mother," she clarified. "You believed I was...Christine?"

He sighed and leaned toward her. As he did so, the hood of his coat fell back to reveal dark brown hair with intermittent streaks of grey.

"You could be her mirror image..." he said softly. His voice trailed off in bitter regret.

"Yes," she blushed. "I know. I saw the painting...well, the paintings. There are so many. Her hair is darker, now, though."

His eyes twinkled in imagination, so she indulged him further.

"And it's less curly than in the portraits. Though, she wears it up most of the time. She has a few grey hairs, too, but she refuses to acknowledge them; Father always tells her that she looks as beautiful as the first time he laid eyes upon her at the Opera."

She could not see his expression, but there was a tell-tale chill in the air. Perhaps it was a mistake to mention her father, again. It was time to change the subject, once more.

"You mentioned us negotiating over dinner?" she innocently questioned.

"I will not give you your freedom, if that is what you'll attempt to barter for," he warned.

Aveline frowned at the pre-emptive veto. A thought flew into her head, then, that refused to stay silent.

"Could you...teach me?"

She couldn't tell for sure, but she was fairly certain that he was smiling like the Cheshire cat underneath the full mask.

"You would have to be extremely dedicated." His tone was bored, but his gleaming eyes betrayed his interest in their deal. "I will not waste my time on some little princess that is used to getting her way."

"I am NOT-" she began to refute his slighting remark, but took a deep breath to calm herself. "I will be an apt pupil, monsieur. You shall see."

"Indeed."

He rose from his seat and walked to the other side of the small table. When he slid her chair out from under her, she stood automatically and stepped away from him. She placed her hand upon his offered arm and allowed him to escort her back to her room.

Once there, she dared to ask the follow-up question to her request.

"What will be the price for the instruction you'll be giving me?" She let go of his arm and stood by the bed. He remained a respectful distance away.