Chapter 10: Awaiting an Answer

My dear parents,

I am sorry I have not written sooner. I was adjusting to imprisonment...

No. There was no way she would get away with that.

Dearest Mother and Father,

How could you NOT tell me of your experience at the Opera Populaire in Paris? I was blindsided by the Phantom, and now I will never see you again, and it is all your fault! I hope that you...

Her pen stayed hovered above the parchment, while her thoughts raced with everything that she wished she could say. Her eyes narrowed and she took a deep breath.

My dearest Mother and Father,

I have been very busy adjusting to Madam Durand's teaching and instruction. I am so sorry I did not write sooner. Although it has been difficult to be away from you, I have to admit that I have learned so much already. The lessons are most immersive, and I think that I am improving. Part of me wishes that I had stayed with you and patiently awaited another tutor to come to our home. I suppose the rest of me is resigned to the fact that, had I stayed at home, I probably would not have progressed further.

I feel a bit torn in two. I do miss you terribly. Paris is different than I anticipated. I can see, now, why you refused to stay here. But I am mostly settled, now. I am unsure of when I will be able to return for a visit. Madam Durand is very strict on such things. I will write to you, again, when I have an answer from her.

My greatest hope is that, once the madam says I am ready, you will be able to hear me play and hear marked improvement in my ability. Madam believes that, one day, I will be playing grand concerts, as she once did. As my parents, you are hereby given notice that you shall be present at every concert I play, and waiting to greet me afterward with an inordinate number of roses. Should I play outside of France, let's say, for the Queen of England, you shall coordinate a bouquet to be sent from a local florist in my location. As your one and only beloved child, I am certain this request is perfectly attuned to what your plans already were.

In all seriousness, I love you both. So very much. I pray you are both well and that you will write to me soon to tell me all about home and what has transpired since my departure.

With all my love and admiration,

Your Aveline

She fanned the ink to speed its drying, and then she walked toward the dress she would be wearing for the day. It had only been about two weeks that she had stayed within the Phantom's domain, but she already had a routine. She awoke, readied herself for the day, ate whatever the Phantom prepared for their breakfast, played through scales and light compositions, had a light lunch, played more complicated movements and pieces, dined with her tutor, returned to her room to prepare for bed, had some personal time to write out her thoughts or little compositions that played in her mind, then drifted off to sleep.

The Phantom, Erik rather, would sometimes sit in on her playing and give copious amounts of feedback and instruction. Sometimes he would barely say a word, but simply listen and get lost in his own thoughts. Occasionally, he would not accompany her at all. She believed that, when he was nowhere to be seen, he had stolen up to the city to secure more accoutrements for their lives below ground.

He was always present for dinner. His meals never disappointed. Neither did his taste in wine. Aveline did her best to enjoy his company and conversation. She figured that gaining his trust would be beneficial, should he ever finally deign to take her with him on one of his trips. He was clearly very educated, most likely through extensive reading. He seemed knowledgeable, but unpracticed, in much of the dealings of the world above them.