Chapter 15: Fluent, but Inarticulate

"In two weeks, a masquerade ball will be held at Versailles," Erik stated. "A fundraising campaign to restore some of the palace's original glory."

Aveline looked up from her dinner, a warm stew with hearty ingredients and savory flavors, surprised at the Phantom's sudden declaration. They were sitting together at the table at his room, celebrating their triumph in finishing their first musical piece as a composing team.

"Francine has procured invitations for us, and I have instructed her to place an order for your dress and accessories."

"What is the theme?" Aveline was happy to hear, after a week of no communication on the topic, that she would finally see above ground, again. She was mildly displeased, though, at having no say in the activity, the place, or her attire.

Versailles. After three months in the caverns, she would still not be seeing Paris. She did her best to suppress her disappointment.

"'Royalty Remembered,' I believe is the official title of the ball." Erik's voice had an air of ridicule.

"Ah..." Aveline replied with caution. "And my dress? What will it look like?"

Erik acted mostly indifferent to the upcoming event, but his eyes suddenly glinted in interest.

"I had Francine order you a gown in deep indigo. The theme suggests rich hues, not unlike the décor of my room." Erik used a gloved hand to make a sweeping gesture to the jewel-tone fabrics that hung along his walls. "There will be a few other royal touches, as well."

"Did you design it?" Aveline raised an eyebrow at the Phantom's enthusiasm. She couldn't fathom him sketching ball gowns before bed.

"No, not exactly," he admitted. "But Francine's private seamstress will create a masterpiece in accordance with my vision, of that I have no doubt."

"And what will you be wearing?"

In the week that had passed since she had given him the half mask, he had yet to don it. A masquerade was a clever outing. Him wearing his typical full mask might be an odd fashion choice, but not wholly unexpected.

"Nothing indigo," he leaned across the table from where he sat, which usually prepared Aveline for the subtle flirtation to follow. "It's not my color."

She gave him a tight-lipped smile and gave her full attention to her soup.

Erik let the silence grow, until she had finished her meal. She dabbed her napkin to the corners of her mouth and then sipped the white wine in her goblet.

"You have not touched your little composition in the last few days, have you?"

Aveline looked into his piercing blue eyes.

"I'm surprised you've noticed, but, no, I have not had the time nor the inclination to work on that particular piece." She held her tongue, wanting to say more.

Obviously, due to my collaboration with you, as well as lacking inspiration to begin the third and final movement of...

"It has certainly developed from the simple melody that you played me months ago."

His words interrupted her thoughts. But she wanted to seize this moment.

"Would you like me to play it for you?" Her heart trembled in her chest. Now that the words were said, she wished she could withdraw the offer; but, paradoxically, she also wanted him to say yes.

"There's no need," he said dismissively, waving his hand in front of his mask, while leaning back in his chair. That meant his playful mood was over. "I can hear the music on the pages." He crossed his arms over his chest and cocked his head to the side. "Besides, it is evident that it is unfinished."