Chapter 17: No Turning Back

"Mama!" Aveline embraced her mother, while her father beamed at her and waited his turn. "Papa!" she exclaimed and turned to her father for another enveloping hug. "Oh, I've missed you so much!"

They pulled away from each other, but not before Raoul grabbed hold of his daughter's hands.

"My darling girl, what a sight you are! I could hardly believe that was my little girl, from across the room!" He smiled tenderly at Aveline, but then a hesitant look flashed upon his face. "May I see you without your mask?" He went to reach for the accessory on his daughter's face, but she leaned away from his hand.

Aveline smiled. "Papa, is this not a masquerade?"

"Yes," he conceded, seemingly wrapped up in distracting thoughts. "I just thought...well, never mind! I am happy to have my family reunited, again."

"You look lovely, mon précieux," Christine chimed in. "Such a...wonderfully ornate gown. You look so mature!"

Aveline heard Madam Durand clear her throat loudly. It cannot be avoided forever, she supposed. She stepped back to the side of her false mentor.

"Madam et Monsieur, permit me to introduce to you the distinguished Madam Francine Durand."

Raoul took the pianist matron's hand in his own and bowed as he kissed her gloved knuckles. Christine gave a ladylike nod of acknowledgement.

"My wife and I are pleased to finally make your acquaintance, Madam-"

"Please, call me Francine, I insist."

"Very well," he nodded.

"Aveline has written to us about you, and she is always most complimentary," Christine spoke up. "Reading her words of how you challenge her and bring her to a level of talent that she never thought she could achieve...it warms this mother's heart immensely, to know that you have been caring for and tutoring our little girl with such faithful attention."

"Yes! And nurturing her ankle after she sprained it! However can we thank you for such a kindness?" Raoul stepped closer to the famed pianist, in genuine gratitude.

"Oh, nonsense," the older woman shooed away the praise, "I did nothing more than my duty. Your daughter is such an...intriguing find. I never believed I would have the opportunity to help sculpt such a remarkable young talent!"

Christine smiled at the lavished compliments. "And now we hear that you are composing together? How marvelous! We cannot wait to hear how Aveline's playing has evolved in only three months!"

Madam Durand shot Aveline a smug smile, but Aveline felt her face flush with embarrassment. Another piece of information she apparently did not know...

"Oh, Mama, it's nothing, really."

Raoul held out a hand to his daughter. "May I have this dance, mademoiselle?"

Aveline looked to Francine, unsure if leaving her mother alone with the vengeful woman was wise, even in a public venue. The hardened woman nodded for her to go, and her father led her away.

They danced smoothly around the floor, with her father making light conversation. Most of Aveline's answers were short and on more than one occasion, she had to have Raoul repeat the question he had asked of her. She blamed it on the loudness of the music, which seemed to satisfy her father's confusion. He smiled at her instead, enjoying their time together.

Her thoughts raced with the options laid out in front of her: leaving with her parents and returning to Toulouse, insisting that she needed to stay in Paris to continue her tutelage, or figuring out some happy solution to bring about compromise for everyone involved.