Chapter 25

The car ride is completely silent as we make our way to the forest-surrounded clearing. When the car stops with no clearing in sight, I start to wonder just what is happening.

"Where's the clearing, and I dunno, the witches?" Donovan asks as we all step out of the car. 

"We obviously can't get too close, or else they would know. Besides, they probably have some sort of guard up." Victoria says rolling her eyes. There is a round of nodding as Victorias pulls out the necklace covered in a handkerchief. She also pulls out a small white crystal shell and a vial with purple liquid.

"Just remember, soul in the crystal, drink the vial within thirty minutes."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm still not okay with this." Aurel grumbles, letting her drop the items into his hand. She steps back, motioning for us to do the same. as he pockets the vial and crystal. She starts chanting as the pendant begins to give off a faint red glow. "For my basket-case!" Aurel says with mock bravery before he starts to convulse. 

"Aurel!" I cry out followed by an oh shit from Donovan as he holds me back from running to him. Aurel hits the ground with a thump as the convulsions stop. Donovan releases me and I drop down next to Aurel as a sharp pain hits my chest. I grab my chest and fight back tears as the pain hits harder.

"W-what is happeni-ng." I manage between hits of pain. Victoria looks nervous as she stares at me pale-faced. 

"I-I, I have no idea." Her face falls. "The connection, it was completely severed, right?"

"Yeah, it was. Why?"

"Well, you could be dying of heartbreak. If the spell wasn't all the way removed, Aurel dying would essentially kill you by making your heart stop. Dying of heartbreak. If you had never met or built an actual emotional bond, you would be okay."

"So what do we do?" Donovan asks, looking as pale as she does. Her face brightens like a lightbulb went off above her head. She starts chanting and closes her eyes. My mind begins to clear and my chest starts to soothe. With the new changes comes confusion. I glance down and jump away.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I screech, my eyes never leaving Aurels pale face. My mind flashes through images of him covered in blood, holding my dead brother. I spin around to the two before me. "How could you let him near me after what he did?" Confusion is painted all over Donovan's face as I glare him down.

"What are you talking about? Victoria what did you do?" Donovan whips towards Victoria.

"I broke the emotional connection. I repressed all the major memories she has that led to a strong emotional connection, so she only has access to the ones that brought her pain, confusion, and all the boring stuff."

"Why the hell would you do that?"

"Would you have rather her died?" She spits and Donovan lowers her head.

"What happens now?" I ask.

"We get as close as we can and wait. Aurel is as good as dead so he will be just fine here." She begins to walk towards the trees and we follow. I keep glancing back to make sure he doesn't move. All I see is a monster, I don't know how I ever felt otherwise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aurel

Sitting up I immediately plant my hand on my throbbing head. Jesus, what did this woman do to me? I have a massive heada- Holy shit. I have a headache! I haven't had one of those since...The realization hits me like a semi-truck. I must be human again! I jump to my feet and look around. It's completely dark, and my eyes refuse to adjust. I hear cackling coming from somewhere, and then I see her. Corina sits in a chair surrounded by a red glow.