the sword or the crown

"some children are simply born with tragedy in their blood"

186 AC, King's Landing

The dark night was cut by screams from both sides of Blackwater Bay.

From one side, the screams went on and on for hours and ended with happy news; another son was born to Daemon Waters and his wife, Rohanne of Tyrosh.

From the other side, the screams were short but surely were more painful and it ended with horrible news; another son was lost to Baelor Targaryen and his wife, Jena Dondarrion.

Daemon and Rohanne had been married for two years now, Baelor and Jena only a little more than a year. Yet, the first had three healthy pregnancies that ended with three healthy sons while the other had two miscarriages that ended with agony for everyone.

It was the early eleventh moon. Baelor and Jena had consummated their marriage under the eyes of the High Septon, King, Queen, and Jena's parents in the fourth moon and before the fifth came, her womb quickened with child and the king had prayed in Sept the whole day. Everybody was happy, the realm was at peace and now the crown prince finally showed everyone that the dynasty would continue from his line. Even the Prince of Dorne had celebrated the good news of his nephew even though the womb belonged to a Marcher. Lord Baratheon had thrown a grand feast in his castle and thousands of gifts from all around the realm and the Free Cities went to the Red Keep to please Lady Jena.

The baby was lost before the sixth moon came.

The father was indifferent to the news. He was sad for sure but everything was too new that he did not even realize what he lost. The mother though took it very hard. When she saw the final ship that brought furniture examples for the new nursery and toys for the babies she lost her mind. Maester Darvin had to give her the milk of the poppy after two days of the crisis. And then they realized her miscarriage was incomplete. Maester Darvin claimed usually pregnancies that ended before ten weeks did not have that issue but she was young. Jena had to stay in bed for a fortnight and any sexual activity was forbidden for a moon.

They started to try again in the eighth moon and in the early ninth, she was with child again and all the life that was taken from the capital returned again. Jena was smiling, and Baelor truly felt the excitement in his bones. Then they had heard that Rohanne was with a child too -ever since the second moon. When they learnt that Daeron and Myriah's genuine smiles started to have a subtle hope in them a -a lot more than just an excited grandparent should Jena get nervous and worried each and every day.

And now two moons later, just after her belly started to show, she woke up at night with screams. Maester Darvin forbade any kind of sexual activity and they were not a couple in love so they had separated beds but closed chambers. She had stomach pain the whole day, Myriah gave her a special tea and Baelor waited on her bedside alongside Rhaegel until she fell asleep and now only a few hours later he rushed to her side with great panic before he even managed to wake himself properly.

"What happened?!", he asked Ser Roland behind him, equally worried.

"I don't know!", she whispered between her cries.

Baelor rushed to her side and pull the blankets while servants lit some candles.

The blood was everywhere.

"Summon the Great Maester and alarm the Queen, now!", Ser Roland yelled while Baelor and Jena looked at each other in fear. Both knew what was happening and what it meant but they were too afraid to admit it.

"I want my mother.", she cried for help and held Baelor's hand tight enough to prevent the blood flood. "I beg you please."

"Alarm Lady Dondarrion too.", Baelor said with a shaky voice, not being able to stop looking at the blood.