the bear and the maiden fair

189 AC, King's Landing

Daeron was sitting on the head of the table with Daenerys on its opposite end. On his left, there were Daemon and Aegor, both dressed in black, and on his right, there were Brynden in blood red and Shiera in shining silver. Daeron himself was also wearing black and Daenerys was shining in gold.

In another room, it was Baelor who sat on the head of the table with his deep green velvet doublet and thin golden coronet on top of his short black hair, he was just shaven before he came for the supper and on the opposite side of him, Maekar was sitting with his scarlet doublet and two rows of gold dragon emblems. On the left, there was Aerys with his black pants and long silver coat, and on the right, there was Rhaegel with high neck sleeveless navy doublet, his white shirt was puffy and had small sun embodiments on its wrist.

Silence ruled both suppers.

"I never thought I would see the day Maekar is getting married.", Daenerys finally said, trying to break the ice. "It's both surprising and pleasant."

"He never thought he would see the day he is getting married either, sister.", Aegor made an unkind remark and sent a small glance to Daeron while drinking from his cup. "Or so I've heard, it's been ages since I last saw him."

"You are always welcome in the court, Aegor.", Daeron sent him a forced smile. "Just ask before you come and do not hide in Daemon's keep."

Daemon's chewing got slower and bowed his head, sharing a look with Aegor. "He is sorry for that incident, brother. It will not happen again."

"Right.", Aegor patted his back. "It will not happen again, my king, I made a mistake."

"It is only in our nature to make mistakes.", Daeron kept smiling and turned back to his food. "And there is merit in owning one's mistakes."

"Surely, surely.", Aegor was in a cheerful mood today, his purple eyes met with Brynden's red ones and got darkened with anger. "Though I think you would also find merit in admitting your mistakes, brother.", Daemon's head slowly turned to his and Daenerys put her goblet back with worry. "King or not, you are still a man in the end."

"And what is that particular mistake you are referring to? I'm sure you take many of my movements as mistakes."

"Sending one brother away while keeping the other close to you isn't a mistake my king.", Aegor wondered. "As our eldest and most noble one, you must know the answer."

"I sent all of you home.", Daeron bowed his head towards him. "One word about you being unhappy there, and I would summon you back to the court. I just wanted you to be with family."

"You are our family too.", Aegor said in a low voice. "It seems you had forgotten that."

Daeron observed him a little. His movements screamed in frustration as usual. Aegor's rage was towards his father and his Blackwood mistress when he was a boy of seven and while it was unnerving to see his little temper tantrums, everybody knew he was no real danger in truth. But now as a man of seven and ten, Aegor's rage apparently shifted towards his family. Daeron sensed even hurt behind his actions. Maybe he did make a mistake by sending him to Stone Hedge. The Brackens would never dare to harm the boy but Daeron deep down always knew he would not get any true love either.

"I will not forget that till the day I die, little brother.", his smile softened and turned into a real one. "You can be sure of that."

"We should have these dinners more often.", Shiera suggested. "Dragonstone is too dark and lonely, I would love to stay here from time to time."

"Of course.", Daeron sent her a wink. "Jena was part of Myriah's court but now that Dyanna will also enter the family, it is time for those two to form their own court within ours. I am sure they would love your presence there now that Daenerys is gone too."