10. Not what we hoped for

~ 2 years later: Crystal Prep ~

The last 2 years had gone by quickly for Lightning Dust and her friends. Their channel had grown quite popular in school, and by the springtime of their final year, they were famous in Crystal Prep. They had become inseparable, bonding over the things they loved to do. It was their last 3 months together, and they were going to make them the best.

Lightning was still with Snowfall, but her dad had never found out. She and Snowfall hadn't talked much about what was going to happen when she left for Airforce Flight School. He knew he was going to miss her, though. She had finally told Frosty and Minty about their relationship a few months back, feeling she could trust them, and they promised not to tell anyone. They really were great friends.

The 3 girls were in the local park on the playground. Lightning and Minty were sitting on the swings, and Frosty was on a bench nearby reading a book for her final exams.

Frosty finished studying and packed up her books, walking over to the girls. "Only 3 months until graduation!" she said. "Are you all excited?"

"Yeah, definitely," Lightning replied. "This spring is gonna be so fun, and then I'm off to Airforce Flight School."

"That's so cool," Minty said. "My parents are sending me off to medical school. I'd much rather learn how to fly jets, too, and go on missions. Are you nervous, or-"

"First of all, do you even know me?" Lightning asked her. "Tell me, Minty, when have I once gotten nervous? No way, I'm excited."

"Hey Dusty, your birthday's next week," Frosty spoke up. "Have you got any plans?"

"Yeah, I do," Lightning replied. "I'm going skydiving!"

"Wow, that's amazing!" Minty smiled. "I wish I could go, but I don't turn 18 until May. We'll be watching you, for sure! And recording it for our channel."

"It took a lot to convince my dad to let me do it," Lightning explained. "He's always known that I've talked about it, but now that it's actually time, he wasn't so sure. But I'm not gonna let anything stop me! Frosty, you're old enough. Don't you wanna come?"

"Honestly, I've done a lot of things..." Frosty started. "But I don't know if I could do this one."

"So, you're scared?" Lightning asked, standing up.

"Well...I guess," Frosty said nervously.

"Well, you'll be missing out," Lightning said, going to leave the park. She had some studying to do for the exams, as well, and didn't want to have anything to do on her birthday besides have fun.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

When she got home, her dad was sitting on the couch on his computer, as he usually did in the evenings.

"Hey dad, I'm home," she announced, putting her bags down.

"Hi, Lightning," he called to her. "Hey, come here." She sat down on the couch next to him, hoping whatever he had to tell her was simple. She had a lot to do.

"Do you remember that girl, Indigo Zap?" he asked her. "She used to go to your school, right? You were friends."

"Um...yeah," Lightning answered, not sure where this was going.

Her dad tapped a few keys, then opened a video on the internet. "Listen to this, she makes her own music with her band now. They're called The Crystals." He played a bit of the video, and it looked like Indigo played the guitar. Sunny Flare and her friend Sour Sweet seemed to be the main singers, while the others played various instruments.