7. Weekend fun!

In that moment, Lightning knew she should have listened to her intuition. It was too late, though. Just as she was preparing for the worst, she heard footsteps quickly approaching from around the corner. Someone was coming! She just hoped they would notice her.

The man must have not heard them because he wasn't prepared. All of a sudden, he was forced to let go of her, and someone pulled him away from her. She could hear him struggling, fighting with someone, and then after a few seconds, it went quiet. She looked around the corner and saw the last person she would have expected...Snowfall.

"Are you alright?" Snowfall asked, coming over to check on her.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Lightning replied slowly. "Where did you come from?"

"I live nearby," he said. "Let me take you home."

"No, I don't need you," she insisted.

"What? I won't let that happen to you again," he said. "Why don't you want anyone to help you?"

"I don't know," she answered. "It's just something about me. I'll be fine." She turned around to keep walking, she still had to find her way home as well.

Snowfall stared after her. "No thank you?!"

~.~.~.~.~.~

It was about 5:30 by the time she found her way home. It was just shortly after where she was attacked that she missed the turn, and was able to find her way from there. When she got inside the house, her dad ran up and hugged her tightly.

"Woah, what's up?" she laughed, pulling away after a second.

"There you are," he said, a look of relief on his face. "I tried calling you, and you never picked up your phone. Are you okay? What happened? Why are you home so late?"

Lightning paused. "Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. I just forgot to call you back."

"You knew I called?" he asked.

"Yeah, but I was a little busy, okay?" she said. If she told him the truth about what happened, he would never let her go outside the house again. "I made some new friends and we were doing something important. Now, I'm going to my room."

"Not yet you aren't," he stopped her. "Hey, I was really worried about you. You really must let me know if you're going to be out so late, and make sure you're doing things with people you trust."

"Okay, fine," she said. "I know that already."

"Lightning," he walked closer to her. "I can't lose you. That's why I'm so protective, you see. If I lost you, I wouldn't have anything left. You are so important to me. I love you."

"Love you too!" she quickly said, before hurrying up to her room. "Bye!"

Her dad sighed, sitting back on the couch. She doesn't understand. One day she will.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Lightning got out her phone right away, excited to call her new friends and make plans. She had gotten their numbers just before leaving school that afternoon. First, she video called Frosty. It seemed like she was the one who made most of the plans.

Frosty was quick to answer. "Hey, Dusty!" she was in her bedroom, and Minty was in the background doing something. However, she got up and came over right away to join them.

"So, we've got the entire weekend ahead of us," Lightning said. "What are we gonna be doing?"

"Extreme ironing!" Minty exclaimed. "Or like you said, Dusty, extreme ice cream eating!"

Lightning sighed. "I wasn't serious!"

"Oh my gosh Minty, just leave the planning to us," Frosty told her. "You haven't been zip lining with us yet. I think we should start with that. We could go to the adventure park downtown. They have zip lining, climbing, skate boarding, all kinds of things."