14. The audition

~ 2 years later: The Melody Music Shop ~

Lightning's dad was in the music shop early that day, preparing for it to open. He heard the familiar sound of the doorbell, and turned to see who was coming in so early.

"Good morning, Lightning," he greeted her, not expecting her to come in that day. She didn't reply, and he noticed that she was looking intently at a flyer on the wall by the door.

"Hey, what's this?" Lightning asked, reading it over again.

"Oh, that?" he looked at it, then back at her. "That's just an advertisement, some girl group they're holding auditions for."

"Yeah, I know that," she nodded, not taking her eyes off of it. The words were in bright, colourful letters.

Magicverse Entertainment is holding auditions! Be a singer, actress, musician, writer, vlogger, editor, and more!

Magicverse...why did it sound so familiar? Then it hit her. Magicverse was where the Crystals were, Indigo Zap and her friends' band. Memories she hadn't thought about in a long time rushed back to her.

"I am joining a girl group with my friends in Magicverse!"

"You're making a big mistake, Indigo Zap, and you'll see that I'm right! Just don't come back to me when your stupid band flops."

Lightning stared at the flyer for a minute, then an idea came to her. "That's it!"

"Hmm? What's going on?" her dad asked.

Lightning took a deep breath. "Well, do you remember when that girl Indigo Zap left Crystal Prep to go be a Magicverse Girl and I said she shouldn't do it, and then she didn't listen and called me a bad friend just because I was nicely trying to give her advice?"

Her dad was silent. "Um...am I supposed to?"

Lightning scoffed. "Yes, you're supposed to! The point is, she joined the Magicverse Girls. This group right here."

"Oh, that's good," he smiled.

"No, it's not good!" she exclaimed. He didn't understand anything. "I told her she wouldn't get anywhere and then somehow, she got really famous with her friends. So, if I join Magicverse. I could get ahead of her! Wouldn't that be amazing?"

Her dad paused, looking like he hadn't followed a word she said. "Um...wait, go back a little," he said, beyond confused at this point. "You? You want to join?"

"That's what I've been saying!" she said.

"But Lightning," he started. "You don't even do any of the things on there. I mean, you used to make those vlog things in school, but you don't even like music."

"Dad, it's important, okay?" she explained. "It's a competition. I need to do this. You need to teach me music so I can go and beat Indigo Zap. How hard can it be?"

"Well, there's a lot more involved than you think," he said. "Hold on, it's a competition? But that's not what the flyer said."

"Ugh, you don't understand," Lightning sighed. "Indigo Zap got into the Magicverse Girls and she didn't even deserve it. She hasn't ever had to work for anything, and those friends of hers haven't either. I need to get in and I need to beat her."

"If that's what you really want," her dad said slowly. "But you don't even like writing or acting or any of those things."

"If she can do it, then I can," she said. "It'll all be worth it, just to see her reaction when I top her in everything."