Chapter 9: Tensions Will Rise

It's been about a few days since Carter and the music club decided to enter the music competition as Carter is walking to school while listening to some songs Sicily recommended for him to listen to. "Man. So cool that Sicily and I have the same taste in music. Maybe I should recommend songs for her to listen to." Carter said to himself as he continued walking. As Carter arrives at school, he sees Sicily sitting on the bench crying. "Sicily? What's wrong?" Carter asked as he approached her. "T-They wrecked my n-notebook." Sicily said as she showed Carter her notebook, which was completely soaked with water. "This notebook was my prized possession. I got it signed by Fallout Boy when I went to one of their concerts. This notebook had lyrics to all of their songs that I liked to sing to." Sicily said as she leaned against Carter's shoulder. "Who did this?" Carter asked. "X-Xavier and his girlfriend." Sicily said as she sobbed, causing Carter to widen his eyes in shock before getting up from his spot. "Sicily. I'll be right back. I'll text Seth and the others to meet you at your spot." Carter said as he texted the others. "What are you going to do?" Sicily said looking up at Carter. "Just gonna have a little talk with some old friends." Carter said as he walked away from Sicily. A few minutes of walking later, he spots Xavier, Zeke, Cameron, Sophie, as well as another girl with blue eyes, tan skin, black hair, and wore a white blouse with black tights and gray shoes, before walking up to the group. "Xavier!" Carter said getting Xavier's attention, "Well, look who it is." Xavier said as he turned to face Carter, "What do you want?" he then asked. "Did you wreck Sicily's notebook?" Carter asked angrily. "Geez man, chill out. It's just a stupid notebook." Xavier said. "Yeah. Like, she can get a new one." Sophie then said. "Besides, say if I did ruin it. What would you have me do?" Xavier asked crossing his arms. "Then I would tell you to apologize to her for ruining her notebook. That notebook was her prized possession she greatly treasures. And you doing something like that to her when she never did anything wrong is just low, even for you." Carter said infuriated causing Xavier to chuckle, "You tell me to apologize to them? Get real Carter. You're not in a position to tell me anything." Xavier said. "Don't act like you're high and mighty Xavier. Look, if you're angry about me leaving the football team, don't take it out on my friends! They did nothing wrong!" Carter said clenching his fists. After a few seconds of silence, Xavier spoke. "You know what? I made up my mind. If you're going to keep hanging out with those freaks, then you might as well not be our friend anymore, Carter." Xavier said. "Fine with me! I would rather be called a freak if it means hanging out with people who share the same passion as me than a bunch of jerks like you guys!" Carter said furiously, causing Xavier to grow a look of anger. "*scoffs* Whatever. Just don't expect us to treat you any better than how we treat your freaky friends." Xavier said as he turned to his homies, "Let's go." he said as he walked away with Sophie and her friend following suit after giving Carter an apologetic look. "Sorry man." Zeke said before following Xavier, with Cameron walking away a few seconds later. A few more seconds later, Carter walks back to Sicily as he sees Seth, Sara, and Ryan comforting her. "Hey man." Ryan said as Carter got to the others. "Hey guys." Carter said getting the other's attention, "Carter, why was Sicily crying?" Seth asked. "Xavier and the others wrecked her notebook. I went to tell them to stop bullying you guys and that I stopped being their friend." Carter said. "You defended us?" Sara said. "Yeah. I'm not going to let anyone mess with my family and get away with it." Carter said. "You think of us as your family?" Sicily asked as she looked up at Carter. "Of course. You guys accept me as I am. Besides, Xavier and the others were too toxic for me." Carter said before Sicily walks up to him and hugs him. "Um, Sicily?" Carter asked in shock. "Thank you so much Carter. We really are grateful for having you on our side." Sicily said. "You're welcome." Carter said as he and Sicily parted from their hug. Just then, Carter gets an idea, "Hey. I just remembered something." Carter said as he reached into his backpack before taking out a notebook similar to Sicily's but without the Fallout Boy sticker, "Here, you can have this." Carter said as he gave it to Sicily. "W-Wait. Carter, is this..." Sicily asked before Carter cut her off, "Sure is. I bought it at the mall and thought of writing my own songs in it, but I think you need it more than I do." Carter said. "But...are you sure?" Sicily asked. "Of course. Besides, I'd rather be a cover artist for singing." Carter said with a genuine smile. Sicily then smiled before kissing Carter on the cheek, "Thank you so much Carter. This really means a lot to me." she said. "O-Oh. Uh, n-no p-problem Sicily. Well, gotta get to class. See ya guys later!" Carter said as he rushed into the school. "I agree. We should get to class." Sara said before the bell rang. "Oh crud! Let's go." Seth said as he, Sara, Sicily, and Ryan entered the school. "So Sicily, what was that kiss about?" Ryan asked Sicily, who realized what she did before turning a deep red. "I-I-I don't know what you're talking about! WellIgottagobye!" Sicily said as she rushed into the school building in a panic. "Now what was that about?" Sara asked her boyfriend, "I may have an idea." he simply said.