Partner Project

That night before Jake went home he asked Hailey to come with him, she obviously said yes and they walked to Jakes house together "Won't be home for a couple of hours because of the partner project" she messaged Zander. Jake invited Hailey inside when they got to the front door, he made sure that it was locked when they got inside. "JANEEEE, JAKE BROUGHT A GIRL HOMEEEEE!" Milo yelled as he was playing Roblox. Jane walked into the room "Hi Jake, hello, uhm what's your name, sorry," Jane asked. "Oh, it's Hailey, nice to meet you," Hailey replied. "Jake and Hailey sitting in a tree K-I-S-S" Milo started, "shut up Milo," Jake interrupted. "Oooo Jakes got a girlfriend!" Milo teased. "So what if that's true, you're 12 you don't need to worry about this stuff," Jake replied. "So she is your girlfriend?" Jane asked. "Yes, now please stop teasing, you'll make her uncomfortable," Jake said, knowing Hailey. "It's fine, I'm not uncomfortable," Hailey answered. "Oh okay, anyways wanna go to my room?" Jake asked. "Yeah  sure!" Hailey replied. They went to Jakes room, past the dog bed that couldn't be used anymore full of Oreo's old toys. "No locking the bedroom door, we have a child here and I don't need any nieces or nephews!" Jane yelled. "Sorry about that, Milo loves teasing me," he said.

They started the project together, it was really strange. "Why didn't the teachers tell us it was about how babies are made!?" Hailey asked. "I honestly have no clue, and also why do we need to learn this?" He said laughing. About 3 hours later they finished the project and sent it to the biology teacher. "Everyone, dinners ready!" Jane yelled across the house. "Coming," said Jake, "Let's go, I have no idea what we are having," he said to Hailey. When they got to the dining room they saw Milo starting to eat his food. "Oh yeah, uhm Jane?" Jake asked about to tell her about their father. "Yeah?" Jane replied in question, "look at this article I found, it's important, here I'll send it to you," Jake informed as he sent the link. "Thanks, I'll look at it later," she replied. 

Later on (around 8pm) Hailey decided to go home, and Jane looked at the article. As soon as she saw it she locked the door and closed the blinds. "Okay, Milo," she started, "don't freak out but dad has been released from jail," she said with a worried tone. Milo instantly paused his video game and looked at Jane "What!? But he hurt us!" He exclaimed, tears running down his eyes. He ran into Jane's arms while crying loudly "why, just why now, not when we are older!?" He cried. "I think he was only sentenced 4 years," Jane said with hurt in her voice, "but I promise to keep you safe," she explained. "But what if he hurts you!?" Milo screamed. "Shh, shh, it's okay, I'm over 18 remember, I can get him in big trouble," she said trying to calm down Milo. "And see, the door is locked and the blinds are down, I even asked Jake to close all of the other blinds in the house and lock the back door, so there is no way he could see us or get in," Jane said calmly. "Ok then, as long as no one is hurt," Milo said with the tears going away. Jane smiled,  it deep down inside she felt her heart break for him.

The next day Jake woke up for school, apparently a guest was coming to talk to the English classes in his grade about crime or whatever. He saw a text from hailey, "good morning 🥰" it said. At school time before class Jake and Hailey noticed lots of whispers, "apparently the guest coming today is a criminal," was one "according to zoey, she asked the teachers for this dude to come," was another. "Ignore it Jake, it's probably just lies," Hailey said. "Yeah, lies," Jake replied. It really felt different though, as if these 'lies' were true. In his first class of the day, he felt different, English was in the last period and he was in first period, but still it felt weird. He knew that he could tell Hailey anything, but he just didn't. He felt that there was something more to her, but she just didn't tell him. He just ignored that feeling and got through class anyways.