Chapter Thirty Two

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

After everything that happened, David, Lily, Henry, Sam, Tess, everything, Ellie grew distant, quiet, struggling with the trauma, with the weight of the world.

Violet watched her personality slip away as she lost herself, just like Violet lost herself after Lily.
Violet hated the feeling that despite saving Ellie, she wasn't fast enough, strong enough. And she hated herself for it. It felt like Lily all over again.
Ellie was one of the only things she would never sacrifice.
At all costs.

But Joel kept the smile on Violet's face, since everything that had happened, his heart had opened up, he smiled more, laughed more, he loved more. And Violet loved him more than anything.
Joel loved his girls, but he could tell what had happened weighed heavily on their hearts.

Violet, Joel and Ellie didn't know this but the origin, the reason Ellie was immune was because her mum was bitten while she was giving birth.
Anna was her name. She loved Ellie, all she ever wanted was for her to be safe. The antibodies travelled through the umbilical cord and intertwined with Ellie's DNA making cordeceps believe that she was no target.

Marlene took Ellie from Anna, one of her closest friends, before killing her oldest friend and placing Ellie into FEDRA care.

They continued on their way to the hospital, to be honest they were close, close to getting this done.
So they could go home.
Violet wanted this shit over with and then they could finally start living,
as a family. Violet stood loading her rifle, while Ellie sat waiting, in her own head.

Joel walked over and spoke calling Ellie's name, who was spaced out before Violet walked over and softly touched her shoulder.
Ellie jumped looking up at Violet, before taking a deep breath and Violet spoke,

"You alright kid?
It's okay to not be.
You've been through so much.
I just hope you know, Joel and I, we—
we love you, okay."

Ellie smiled weakly at Violet as Violet placed a hand out to help Ellie up.
She grasped her hand, as Violet softly wrapped her arms around Ellie.
She spoke softly,

"I've got you.
I promise."

Ellie tore herself from Violet's arms as Joel smiled bringing out a can of some sort of food and giddily speaking,

"I found this in there. Beefaroni. Chef Boyardee."

Violet smiled, kissing Joel's cheek as he leaned into her, before turning his face and softly kissing her.
Violet stepped back before she looked at the other box in his hand, Ellie watching as Joel spoke towards her,