Chapter 5

Sydney POV:

I hate airports. Always have, always will. Its always so crowded and stressful with all the security and trying to get where you need to go. It didn't take any of us long to get anxious.
"Where's the gate?" Riley asked, wheeling my suitcase behind him, insisting that I don't take it.
"If we knew, don't you think we'd be there?" my mom asked testily. I had made the executive decision to stay quiet minutes ago, after security had scared the living shit out of me. They hadn't said anything specific, it just plainly terrified me.
"Oh, there it is." Riley said, pointing us to the corner of the airport, my departure drawing closer and closer. I reached down and tied my light grey Vans, trying to distract myself.
"Hurry up, Syd. Your flight is here!" my mom half-shouted. I picked up the bags and said my goodbyes.
"Don't be sad, Riley. I'll be back before you know it."
"I know! And have so much fun that you don't wanna come home. But do come home." We both laughed.
"Alright. Love you Riley. Love you Mom! Love you-- Wait, where's Maddie?"
"She went to the bathroom. She was crying because she didn't want you to leave."
"Oh." I said astonished. "Well, tell her I said goodbye."
"We will. Go, now. They called your row." my mom said.
"Alright. Bye!" I said as I walked toward the lady at the door. I handed her my ticket and got on the plane. Halfway through the long tunnel entrance, I heard a small voice.
"Oh my gosh." it said. "are you Sydney Mortan?" I turned around to see a girl about 11 years old.
"Yeah!" I said happily.
"OMG CAN I PLEASE GET A PICTURE?" the girl said excitedly.
"Yeah, of course!" I replied trying to match her enthusiasm. I didn't look the nicest, I was wearing Vans, black leggings, and a super thin grey and black striped sweatshirt with minimal makeup on and my hair was naturally curly.
"Ohmygoshthankyousomuch!" she said in one breath. We both took a picture on our phones and I tweeted the picture.
"Do you have a Twitter?" I asked grabbing my bags and starting to walk.
"No. But thanks so much for the pic!"
"No problem! I gotta go." I said.
"Oh! By the way, my name is Maggie."
"Ok." I said awkwardly. "Bye, Maggie!" With that, I got on the plane and sat down in my designated seat. The safety video came on and pretty much everyone zoned out. It wasn't a very packed flight, so both seats next to me were empty. I took the window seat. Once the video was over, a flight attendant came over.
"Would you like anything to drink?" She asked in a voice thick like honey. She must've been tired.
"Um.. yeah... Can I get a Diet Coke?"
"Of course." She said politely she sat it down and I took a sip. Once the plane had taken off, I put my earbuds in and fell asleep.
--3 hours later--
An announcement over the loudspeaker woke me. I took out my earbuds and listened.
"Hello fliers. Due to weather conditions, this flight will have to land in Phoenix, Arizona. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Kenny's POV/

"I'm sorry, sir. Your flight from Arizona to California has been delayed."
"Oh. Umm..." I wasn't shocked. It had been storming for two days. I got my stuff and went to go sit down. My family had said goodbye in the car, so I was all alone. Flights were landing here. Then, there was an announcement that sparked some hope for me.
"Flight from Minnesota going to California landed." Sydney was from Minnesota. I don't know why her being here would help, given we'd never met, but still. I watched hopefully as the people entered the airport, and there she was. She was a lot shorter in person, and she looked like she weighed about 90 pounds. Her light brown hair was curly, almost touching her waist. If I wanted to talk to her, I'd have to go now. I left my bags and went up to her.
"Hey, you're Sydney Mortan, right?" I asked even though I knew the answer.
"Um, yeah. Wait... Are you Kenny Holland?" She knew who I was.
"Yeah! My flight was cancelled and I had heard yours was delayed, so I thought I'd give you someone to talk to."
"Thanks. I actually thought I'd be alone here for like 4 hours."
"Yup. Do you wanna um.. go sit down?" I was getting awkward.
"Yeah, sure!" she hadn't seemed to notice my awkwardness. As we were going to sit down, I heard her stomach rumble.
"Do you wanna go get some food or something?"
"Yeah, actually. That would be great!"
"Cool. Where do you wanna go?"
"Wherever you want to."
"There's a Starbucks and a McDonalds really close by. Which one do you prefer?"
"Starbucks is fine." she said blushing a little.
"Cool. You can just leave your bags here, by mine. No one will take it."
"Ok." We walked to the Starbucks pretty much silently. I'm sure she felt just as awkward as I did, if not more. Once we got there, she ordered her drink and snack (a caramel ribbon crunch creme frappecino and a blueberry muffin) I ordered mine (I didn't really know what to get so I got the same thing). As we were walking back to our luggage, she started a conversation.
"So, are you excited for Digi?" she asked. She didn't sound as shy as before, which was good.
"Yeah. I've known Jack and Jack for a while, so I knew there'd be at least two people I knew. What about you?"
"I met Johnson before Gilinsky, so I know him better, but I also know Jc Caylen and now I know you." That made me smile.
"And I know you." I said back. "So, tell me about yourself." I hoped that didn't sound too pushy. "I mean, if you want."
"Um ok, ha." she let out a nervous laugh at first. "What about myself?"
"Do you have any siblings?"
"I have an over-protective older brother named Riley, and his girlfriend Jaime is like an older sister to me, and I have a younger sister named Maddison. What about you?"
"I have an older sister named Madison, and four younger sisters named London, Camry, Bria, and Capri or Kip."
"Wow. you're the only guy out of 6 kids?"
"Yeah." I said laughing. Then we were both laughing. I'm not sure why. She looked so cute laughing, though. "Do you have any pets?"
"Oh, goodness. I have two German Shepards named Otis and Marley, a chihuahua named Shammy, a pug named Basil, about 20 chickens, two donkeys named MiMi and Charlie, two alpacas named Bingo a and Chef, and two cats named Amber and Sushi." I could tell the look on my face was a shocked one.
"Wow. That's a lot. And I don't even have a dog." she laughed.
"Yeah, it's a lot." we sat quietly for about ten seconds. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom." she said, getting up and leaving.
'Man, she's everything.' I thought. Then I realized. I was falling for her.