Chapter Twenty-Four

Katarina

"You look breathtaking." Thank God for waterproof makeup. "I'm a mess." I cried, hugging her tighter.

Opal laughed as she rubbed my back. "God, I missed you so much. Seeing you once every few months isn't enough."

With one last squeeze, we pulled away, and I sat beside her. She smoothed her hands down her wedding dress, and I stifled a sob. She looked like a princess worthy of everything good this world had to offer.

She grew her usual shoulder-length hair and was styled up in a low romantic updo with her diamond tiara trussed on top of her head. Her makeup was flawless, almost natural, with a bold red lip and her signature wispy lash extensions.

Her lace veil was clipped onto the back, and it fell down her back. I had seen her dress when I came with her to try them on a while ago, but it felt like months since I'd seen her in it. It was an ivory-white wedding gown with a scoop neckline that accentuated her breasts and bishop sleeves.

It fit her curves and showcased the beauty that was Opal. The bodice was a detailed and graceful floral lace with a flared skirt, and my eyes fell on her petal-shaped lace train. She looked so happy, so ethereal, that I knew I would cry again.

"Kat." She chuckled.

"I know. I'm sorry, but you're the most beautiful bride I've ever seen in my life. Look at you! Ryker is one lucky fucker." I poured another cup of champagne and sat down next to her. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you." She smiled and squeezed my hand. "I'm glad the bridesmaid dress arrived. It's hard to ship to Paris." She teased.

The dress in question was a gorgeous wine-colored charmeuse slip dress. I paired it with stone-beige strappy heels. My hair was curled loosely, and I had a smokier makeup look to go with the dark color of the dress.

"Are you heading back after the ceremony?"

"Yeah, I only got a few days off of work."

After my first and last night in Santa Barbara, I drove straight to Megan's house. She was surprised when she saw me, but she was the only one that knew about Gabriel and me. I purged, telling her everything, and begged her to relocate me to Paris to work for her.

She agreed, and thankfully, I've been there since. All Opal and Xavier knew were that I got a promotion and a spot I couldn't pass over, and they were happy for me. I hadn't seen or heard from Gabriel since, and I was doing okay with knowing that I never would.

I didn't date anyone in Paris. Didn't even hook up with anyone else. I knew it would be a waste of time, that I'd never love them, especially when someone else had already taken my heart. I knew I'd never feel what I felt for Gabriel for anyone else. I knew he was out there, too, with Ryker and Xavier, and I was nervous and anxious to see him. 

If Opal and Xavier suspected anything between Gabriel and me, they didn't say anything. Whenever I came down to LA to see them, he wouldn't show up, and I knew he didn't want to see me, which was fine since I didn't want to see him, either.

I knew he was dating Savannah again because Opal brought it up once with distaste. Good for him for moving on, I guess. Opal's father came, and I stepped outside to give them some privacy. I walked out of the room to see

Xavier standing there fresh in the same-colored suit as my dress. I jumped in his arms, and he picked me up and spun me off the ground. I laughed harder than I had in a while as I clung to him.

"God, I missed you, Xavier." He hugged me tighter before putting me back down.

He pulled away and kissed the top of my head.