2. you don't seem to understand

lyrics, duvet by boa

the rode to the train station was short but awkward. effie sat between you and peeta, and explained what the capitol was like, and the train ride despite the fact neither of you were listening. you opted to stare out the window and take in the scenery of your district before having to leave it. when you got inside the train, you nearly tripped at first glance. you were taken aback by the rarity and beauty of everything inside. nothing you would find inside district 12, thats for sure.

you stepped in, amazed, followed by peeta who was just as astonished as you. effie walked right past you both as if this was nothing special. you took special notice of the plages upon plates of sweets and food for you to stuff yourselves with. in awe, you touched with gentle fingers the shiny wood of a table and the beautifully made glass cups. you pulled back, afraid to stain anything with your fingerprint.

"don't be shy, now. everything here is for you to enjoy," effie said dreamily. taking note of that, you took what looked like the cakes that peeta's family would sell, and slipped it in your pocket. you had never tasted cake. you sat down with effie, careful not to squish it in your pocket. peeta followed, sitting beside you to face effie.

effie smiled. "isn't it wonderful?"

you didn't look to her to reply. you were busy admiring everything. "it's beautiful," you simply stated. "and it's all for you," effie highlighted.

it was quiet once more, and effie cleared her throat. "let me find haymitch. he'll want to meet you two." she stood up, and obnoxiously made her way to one of the sliding doors.

haymitch. that was his name, the only victor for your district. he won the 50th games, before you were born. haymitch albernathy.

slowly, peeta glanced at you.

"have you ever met him? haymitch?"

you turned to him, processing what he had asked. this was the first time you had spoken to each other.

you shook your head. "no," you answered. "have you?"

peeta shook his head. it was quiet again for a few moments before a man stumbled through the door. looking up, you saw what you presumed to be haymitch, your mentor. quickly, however, your face scrunched as you were hit with the sharp smell of alcohol. peeta tensed, noticing the man's state as well.

he stared at you two for a moment, looking back and forth before announcing a sarcastic "congratulations." you winced, and peeta watched as haymitch fumbled with the cork on a bottle of wine. he approached you once more, muttering a "may i?" before he sat down, peeta straightening up as your mentor rested his feet on the coffee table.

peeta cleared his throat. "so, uh, so when do we start?"

haymitch waved his class around, cutting peeta off. "so eager. most of you aren't in such a hurry," he slurred, pushing his hair back.

glancing at you with a confused face, peeta started again. "you're our mentor, you're supposed-"

leaning forward, haymitch interrupted. "mentor?" staring with judgmental, confused eyes, peeta responded. "yeah, our mentor," he said with attitude. "you"re supposed to tell us how to get sponsors and give us advice." from his tone, you could tell peeta was getting angry. but who wouldn't be? you could also tell that, peeta must have watched the games intently every year. he was ready.

haymitch thought for a moment before answering peeta, rebutting with the same sarcasm. "embrace the probability of your imminent death. and know in your heart, that there's nothing i can do to save you."

the tension in the air thickened, and you opted to look down at your hands awkwardly.

haymitch sipped his glass, and peeta reached forward, still upset. "okay, i think thats enough of that-" immediately, haymitch's bare foot pushed him back into the seat, and was pushed against his chest.