(AA Ch. 3) My Friend, and Hero

Note: I split these into parts, so if you ever want to find what part you left off in, hit [ctrl] +[f] and type in [PART 1], 2, 3, etc. (Make sure the whole story has been loaded.)

WARNING: semi-graphic description of burn injuries, near-death experience

*Thursday afternoon, between LCO Chapters 21 & 22

PART 1

Each of the students stared with wide, intimidated eyes at the structures in front of them. There were five different buildings, each with thick smoke pouring from the windows. They then turned to look at their teacher Aizawa, who looked as unfazed as usual despite the imminent danger before them. All Might, who was standing beside him, seemed to share the concerned look of the students as Aizawa began the mission debriefing.

"So." he began, pausing to ensure everyone was watching him, "A few days prior to this lesson, you were all trained in proper fire rescue procedures. Well, those practices were all designed for today's event—which I have thoroughly forewarned you of. The task for today's hero lesson, is to rescue a lifelike dummy from the interior of an actual burning building."

Everyone's eyes widened, including All Might's—who didn't seem to have received the forewarning at all.

"I am aware that you children are not firefighters. Therefore, the simulation will be controlled by a skilled group of pyrotechnics—aka, the support course. All students will also be equipped with a minimalized set of firefighter gear for the sake of your personal safety. Granted, in an actual emergency, you might not have any equipment at all, so it is important you learn how to deal with that scenario separately. But as for today, we will be prioritizing your health. Am I clear?"

Class 1-A nodded nervously back at him.

"Well then." he pointed to the buildings, "There are five buildings, meaning you will enter as rescue parties of 4. The only real rules to this exercise, other than rescuing the civilian, are not to destroy the building, or enter the topmost floor. The top floor is a safe zone set aside as a maintenance floor. It is a locked room where the support students can safely work on the pyrotechnics live during the exercise, and has a separate escape route in case anything goes wrong. On the other hand, we teachers will be evaluating you using the interior camera footage of the buildings."

Aizawa relaxed finally, lowering his arm into his pocket. "Any questions?"

Kaminari raised his hand.

"Yes?"

"Is there a chance we could die in there?"

Aizawa's expression soured, "Any other questions?"

"It's a legitimate question!" Kaminari defended, "You're sending us into an actual fire simulation—what if one of us gets crushed under burning floor boards or something?"

"Unless you do something incredibly foolish, your lives will not be in actual jeopardy." Aizawa huffed, "This is a fairly new part of the curriculum the principal is having us test, but I've been told that he and Power Loader have worked hard to ensure this exercise will not end catastrophically."

"O-okay..."

"Good. Anyone else?"

Aizawa took one last sweep of the class before nodding contently to himself. For once, his debriefing seemed thorough enough to even satisfy Iida, so there was no point in explaining any further. He lifted up the roll slip at his side, and began to peer down the list of names to assign everyone into groups.

"In that case, I will call out the group assignments," he mumbled.

For the most part, Aizawa assigned people by calling out their names at random. The only students he cared to intentionally not put together, were Midoriya and Bakugo, and Yaoyorozu and Mineta (for obvious reasons). When it was Iida's turn, he looked up at Aizawa expectantly, patiently awaiting his assignment.