Engine Boy, I Love You! | Ch. 1: The Day Before

Summary: After spending all of their Sunday together, Iida and Hatsume's emotions are burning hotter than ever before. When Iida returns to the development studio again for costume adjustments, the two of them are flustered messes--barely even able to converse properly without feeling nervous. However, they manage to agree on meeting tomorrow to test Hatsume's invention, and rendezvous at the front gates of UA the following evening.

For once, the test goes without a hitch. Hatsume's support item works perfectly, and the two are euphoric when it does--perhaps a little too euphoric. They celebrate together, laughing and high-fiving as their excited hearts pound behind their chests.

Then before Iida has time to stop himself, his adrenaline gets the better of him.

Author's Note: This is part 5 of the Adrenaline Arc, and also THE FINALE. For those of you not caught up, there are 4 extra parts to read in "The Couples of Class 1-A", not counting some bonus chapters. Please check them out so you have context, and maybe take a look at my other fic "Love-Coach Ochako" while you're at it!

I also just want to say that I'm so happy for those of you who've made it this far in the series--I never expected to actually get to this point and WRITE it. This story will update chapter by chapter (like LCO) until it is finished. I hope you all enjoy reading it, and thank you to those of you who've left me such nice comments! You keep my morale high, and have rekindled my motivation to write on several occasions, so thank you--seriously.

Now without further ado, enjoy the finale to the Adrenaline Arc: "Engine Boy, I Love You!"

-     -     -

He knew she hated formalities, but knowing this was going to be a moment that would forever change the direction of their lives, he'd made sure they were both dressed for the occasion. He'd called her about a thousand times before the event, just to guarantee she would remember and arrive relatively on time. He had even booked this place months in advance so that he could keep an eye on the weather, food prices, and occupancy of the restaurant.

He was also unconsolably nervous, but that was unavoidable. After all, he knew what was going to come out of this day. He knew what it would mean for them—their future, and naturally that made him so apprehensive, he felt like throwing up. (And admittedly, he already had once or twice the day before.) The only thing keeping him from doing so now, was the awareness that no number of mints would make up for the smell later on—and heavens knew that having fresh breath would be crucial tonight.

However, stepping up to the front doors, he realized she wasn't there.

Confused, he looked all around—eyes squinting as he traced the edges of the sidewalks where the streetlights glowed, until he spotted something at the pier. The dock adjacent to the restaurant, though void of boats, had a single occupant seated on one of the pilings.

Slender, with snow-tinted skin from the glow of the starlight, he knew precisely who it was that was waiting for him. He could recognize that strawberry-pink hair anywhere.

Not wanting to keep her waiting any longer, he hurried down to the dock, pretending to muster a patronizing expression as he approached. After all, he had to let her know it'd been impolite not to tell him she'd already arrived. He had been waiting around for the past ten minutes.

"There you are," he sighed in an exaggeratedly bothered tone, "Just how long were you going to have me wait, exactly?"

She turned around, and his heart about melted.