Chapter 61: Rendezvous

Naomi didn't see Kieran all week. Not once, even for the painting class. She found, not for the first time, that his absence disappointed her. Seeing Kieran, interacting with him, had become Naomi's breath of fresh air.

His avoidance made her wonder if all of the accusations from that woman in his apartment had been true.

Try as she might to convince herself that Kieran might have lied to her, Naomi found she trusted his actions more than her suspicions. Kieran had seen her as she was, had protected her. Even if he had lied, Naomi found for the very first time that she thought there must be more to the story.

Throughout the week, Naomi worried less about the blonde woman and more about whether or not she should still meet Kieran at their scheduled appointment. She needn't have worried at all.

The text came late in the evening on Friday. I'll see you in the morning.

Naomi read it four times before the connotations computed. In the morning, she would sneak out to meet a man. If her mother heard that thought, Ms. Rowe would no doubt lock Naomi away for the rest of her life. If Naomi thought anything would go wrong, she would allow her mother to do so.

But Kieran wouldn't hurt her. Of this, Naomi was certain.

Sleep was elusive that night, for a number of reasons.

The morning came too soon and yet not soon enough. Moody patches of clouds played hide-and-seek with the sun, though it had not yet risen far above the horizon.

Naomi sailed through her morning routine with a newfound energy. An energy that only ebbed when the time came for Naomi to exit the condo.

Ms. Rowe, workaholic though she was, had not yet left for the company. She knew Naomi's schedule too well for Naomi to lie about having to work. If fortune were on Naomi's side, she would be able to slip out of the door before her mother saw her. If not, everything would be ruined.

"You can do this. Be adventurous." Naomi spoke the words to herself as a pep talk, but for once they did their job.

She had spent years avoiding adventure and thrill. This time, Naomi found she wanted to embrace it.

So slowly that it didn't make a click, Naomi turned her doorknob and pulled the door open. Just a crack. Just enough to make sure Ms. Rowe was still in her bedroom.

A full sixty seconds of reconnaissance assured Naomi that Ms. Rowe hadn't emerged. Knowing time was shortfor her escape, Naomi darted into the hall, then the entryway. She picked the easiest shoes to slip into. Exited the door almost more quickly than it could make a noise. Then she made a run for it.

By Naomi's calculations, Ms. Rowe couldn't catch up to her if she moved fast enough.

The driver would be waiting for Ms. Rowe at the front of the building, so Naomi made her escape through the back parking lot.

Hailing a taxi turned out to be easier than she anticipated. Naomi settled into the backseat, gave the address, and let out a breath. She had made it. And it had been exhilarating.

With Ms. Rowe behind her, Naomi focused on what lay ahead of her. As hard as she had thought, Naomi couldn't fathom what Kieran had in store for her.

You don't believe you're beautiful? I'll prove otherwise. Next Saturday, 9AM, Project J Photography.

Where did she start? How far should she read into it? Naomi had never been able to anticipate what Kieran would do next, and this time was no different. Truth be told, Naomi had no idea what she had signed herself up for. Not until it was too late.

Project J Photography resided in a mod metal building near the downtown area. The building was smaller than the warehouse studio from last time, Naomi noted. But that didn't mean that the quality of work shot within would suffer. She had seen plenty of their photoshoots while internet stalking Kieran. They were enthralling.

Having paid the taxi driver, Naomi faced the front door. A breath did little to still her racing heart. She reached for the handle anyway.

The door opened toward her, but not because Naomi opened it.

Kieran held the door wide, a grin splitting his lips in that addictive smile that Naomi craved. "Good morning."

"Hi." Naomi swallowed, hating the way the single word sounded breathless.

Kieran didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, his eyes twinkled brighter after her greeting.

"Come on in," he instructed.

It was an invitation, but also Naomi's final chance to back out and go home. Naomi brushed past him with all the false confidence of a chihuahua. Inside, she shook like a leaf in the wind.

The interior of the building was more spacious than Naomi imagined. Different stations had different studio set-ups. Off to one side, a line of offices sported the names of the photographers.

"This way." Kieran's fingertips brushed the back of her shoulder, interrupting Naomi's perusal and short-circuiting her brain.

As if Kieran controlled her entire world, as if a tide pulled by the moon, Naomi trailed after him to a door in the far corner. A pair of women stood before it, smiling at Naomi like they knew something she didn't.

"Who are they?" Naomi asked.

"This is Vienna and Maxine." Kieran chuckled. "They're going to get you ready."

"What?" Naomi hadn't prepared for that.

"I told you, didn't I?" Kieran turned the full weight of his gaze to Naomi, staring her down like a king perusing his new queen. "I'm going to prove you're beautiful."

He said the words so seriously, with so much resolve, that Naomi couldn't argue against them. She merely nodded once and, before she could say anything else, found herself being escorted into the corner room.

Within, a wall of mirrors faced off with an empty wall housing a couch and a chair. The far wall sported a rainbow rack of garments and, in a corner, a curtain hung as a dressing area.

One of the girls helped Naomi into a chair by the mirror. "Sit back and enjoy. Boss doesn't do this for just anyone."

Boss. Kieran had called in his employees for this? Naomi didn't know that she wanted to take the wild ride, but she wouldn't walk away from Kieran's silent challenge.

Even if, in hind sight, she should have done exactly that.