26. Hanging out with uncle and aunts

"In the end no career is worth sacrificing your family"

---

Flashback starts...

A four year old Aaron and a 12 year old Hope was laying in bed as Ellie was singing for them.

'Never mind the darkness. Never mind the storm. Never mind the blood red moon. The night will be over soon. The night will be over soon. Brush away the sorrow. Brush away the tears. Sing away your heavy heart. The night will be over soon. The night will be over soon. For every night goes quiet. And every moon grows blue. Beyond the dark comes something new. The sun will be rising soon...The sun will be rising soon. The sun will rising soon' Ellie sang to her kids.

"Sing it again mom" Aaron said "No, now you need to sleep" she said and Aaron nodded before he lay down his head "Sleep tight, buddy. Mommy and Daddy will be here and chase all the bad dreams away and they will be guarding over you, making sure that no one will hurt and nothing will happen to you" she said before she kissed him on the forehead.

She got up before she walked out and over to Five who was sitting by the fire.

"Are they asleep?" he asked and she nodded as she sat down next to him.

"Aaron asked me a question today" he said and she looked at him "He asked me where are all the animals and humans are?" he said "What did you tell him?" she asked "I just told him that they are in a better place" he replied "What did he say?" she asked "He asked me what kind of place and I told him that it was a happy, beautiful, peaceful and wonderful place. And he asked me if we will ever see a place like that and I say that someday, somehow everyone even us will go to that place but it wouldn't be for a very long time" he said before he looked at her "Aaron is a smart kid and I think that he kinda understand what is going on" he said "I think he does" she said "Its just, Hope and Aaron don't know anything else but the apocalypse. We fight everyday just to stay alive" he said as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"We have to get out of here so we can give them a normal and better childhood than this. Its almost as I think that we had a better childhood than them" he said frustrated "Hey" she said as she took his hands in hers "We will get out of here, we just have to keep hoping, cause if we have no hope, what is the point in living" she said and he smiled "Beside even so it is the apocalypse, Aaron and Hope already have a better childhood than we have, cause they have two parents who love them more than anything and that is enough" she said.

"What would I do without you" he said "You would always have me and the kids, for we're not gonna leave, never" she said "I love you" he said "I love you too" she said and they brought their lips together.

They pulled away before they looked at each other "I love those kids so much" he said "So do I" she said as she turned her head towards where they were.