Chapter 10 - A Grocery Store

"Morelia, I'm going to lock you in my house if I continue to see you like this

"Morelia, I'm going to lock you in my house if I continue to see you like this." Mama threatens with worry displayed in her dark eyes.

"De que hablas?" I play dumb knowing very well what she is talking about.

"No te hagas." She slightly glares giving me flashbacks of when she used to do that to me when I was younger.

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not. You look like you're dead." She isn't wrong.

I've been accidentally letting myself go. I look like absolute shit, but I don't really care. It's something I could easily fix.

I've gotten stares from three people just from the few minutes of us getting out the car, going to get a shopping cart, and then walking to entrance of the grocery store.

A little girl, an old lady, and a teenage boy.

I've become very pale almost yellow, my eye bags are worse, and the way I decided to leave the house today isn't helping. I'm usually very well put together and cover up how tired and awful I look but I didn't feel like it today.

I put what I usually wear when lounging which is leggings, a yoga sweater, and it took all my energy to put on some sneakers. My hair is up in a ponytail which doesn't look bad. I think it's just my face that has people concerned.

I've never seen myself like this and I think it's because my lack of sleep and eating is slowly catching up to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I just dropped dead at any moment and not just because I would be dead.

We're here grocery shopping because mama told me that my fridge and pantry are practically empty.

I feel guilty for worrying her so much to the point where she has to treat me as if I were a dumb teenage girl. It seems like that to her because I keep lying and hiding the reality of things from her.

We walk into the store, and I follow her around helping her choose things out to my liking. The following her around part gives me flashbacks of when I used to go with her grocery shopping when I was younger and just follow her around.

I don't think she knows how much she means to me and the things she does for me. She never gave up on me even after the man she loved broke her heart and left her alone with a child to finish raising on her own. She only became more loving toward me and gave me everything she could, and she still cares for me to this day.

"I forgot to get the avocados." My mama suddenly stops. She then turns to look at me.

"Can you go get them please?"

I give her a soft smile and a nod before leaving the aisle we were in and going toward the produce section.

I grab a plastic bag and begin picking out the avocados before putting them into the big. The few seconds of that I feel someone staring at me.

I look up just as I finish what I am doing to see a woman staring at me but quickly turning away pretending that she wasn't. I furrow my eyebrows and realize that maybe I look crazier to people than I thought.

I ignore it and go to look for my mother when I get distracted when seeing the ice cream section. I just now notice the cookie dough one which sounds good right now. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier when I walked past it with my mother.

I take it from the freezer and just when I turn around, I accidentally run into someone.

"I'm so sorry." I instantly apologize to see that it's the woman from just earlier.

She looks a bit in shock and like she has seen a dead person when looking at me and it only makes me confused.

"It's okay." She gives me a nervous smile.

She begins to walk away but then immediately stops, turning around to look at me. She stares at me nervously and lightly brushes her hand over her curly hair.

"Do we know each other?" She questions fiddling with her fingers.

"No, I don't think so." There's something off.

"What's your name?" She asks in fake curiosity.

"Morelia."

An almost panicked and scared look appears on her face. It's not directed at me though.

"Sorry, I thought you were someone else." She lightly laughs nervously before walking away quickly.

I'm so confused.

__

I sigh taking a seat on my couch just how my mama demanded for me to do as she cooks me something. I insisted on helping her or doing it myself, but she refused to let me.

It's been two weeks since Akim and I went to go find Francesco Esposito.

I got all the information I needed and there wasn't any reason to kill him, so he is out there free for now.

I haven't seen Akim since and I've been ignoring his calls and texts. I really don't want to be around him.

On the silent walk back to my car with him I realized that I married a complete stranger. I don't know him as much as I thought I did.

There are some things that he didn't lie about, and he still acts the same way he always has, but there was still a big part of his life that I didn't know about. He seems freer now that I actually know him. It's just that I kind of hate him now and hold a lot of resentment toward him.

Every time he tries to talk and explain himself for what he did I cut him off. I'm scared of listening to what he has to say.

If his explanation is justifiable then what happens?

I still won't be able to be with him because I'm sure I'll still be hurt. My trust for him is also completely gone.

On top of that Alina was taken from me because of him. It was because he is her father which he doesn't know even know of yet, but my daughter was taken from me for carrying his blood through her veins.

I don't know what to do or think anymore.

Everything that has happened in the past year and a half is slowly catching up to me and I don't know how things will turn out in the end.

_________________________________