XXIII

Jinyoung

"So it's today that you're really going to confess?" Doyoung says as soon as I lean against the wall, in front of the table where Jisoo is talking to some girls from the swim team.

"Maybe." I say as I pour the rest of the vodka and juice I was drinking.

"She and Jennie broke up, it's your chance, if you don't take it now, you may never have an opportunity again." he lowers his voice "And it's been weeks since they ended."

"I don't know, it looks like there's something wrong. Jisoo was too in love with her for it to end like this." I shake my head in denial without taking my eyes off the brunette with heart-shaped lips.

"You're just being paranoid and making excuses not to declare yourself." Doyoung walks in front of me and puts his hands on my shoulders "That's it, do it like this, wait for some moment in the party when she's a little upset and pull her to a corner, ask about Jennie and depending on the answer, declare yourself, just don't be an asshole."

"What if she dumps me?" I let out a sigh and he shakes me by the shoulders.

"You've been waiting for so long, this is the time!" he encourages me "By the way, you did so much extra training to win the competition and impress her, it was worth it, you won."

"Thanks, but I don't know if it was so worth it."

"How not? I saw the way she hugged you. All that closeness means something. Maybe she is also very shy because you are friends. It is your duty as a man to take the initiative." my best friend shakes me harder and I just nod in agreement.

After someone calls him, Doyoung leaves me alone and I decide to go to the kitchen to make myself another drink. I need a lot of liquid courage to talk to Jisoo.

The kitchen is reasonably empty and I'm looking for the grape juice when Jennie Kim walks through the door, heading towards me, and with such a determined look on her face that I decide to just ignore her.

Contrary to what I expected, she just leans against the counter and crosses her arms as she watches me. If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's when people are watching me closely. I take a deep breath as I pour the juice into the glass and pick up the bottle of vodka next.

"Is there any problem, Jennie Kim?" I say, still with my back to her.

"I'm just surprised you haven't tried anything with Jisoo yet considering you're her secret admirer." She shrugs and takes a deep breath. I want to know how she found out.

"There you go with that story again, Jennie, but I already told you I have no idea what you're talking about." I turn and give her my best wry smile.

"Jinyoung" Jennie opens a wide smile and takes a step towards me "I know you are Jisoo's secret admirer."

"Jennie" I smile wider than she does, even I'm shaking inside because she found out "I already said I don't know anything about this. Jisoo never said anything to me regarding secret admirers." I shrug and take a sip of my drink.

"So I'm glad you're not in love with her, so my competition is less." My smile disappears as soon as I hear it.

"Competition?" I frown.

"Sunmi, Haein, you know... Jisoo attracts a lot of attention wherever she goes and it's not because we broke up that I'm going to give up on her." She points her index finger at me and pokes my arm, almost like a threat "She may not want to know more about me for now, but I know her better than anyone else. I'll find a way to win Jisoo back, so I'm glad you're one less competitor."

"If you and she still haven't got back together, maybe you should give up, because you betrayed her. Jisoo would never trust you again after you cheated on her with your friend." I see her smile falter and now I'm the one smiling.

"How do you know about it?" Jennie squeezes my arm tightly and looks extremely irritated.

"You may not remember, but I was there." I say softly and she looks shocked "You're too jealous and insecure, you don't deserve Jisoo." I wink at her and take advantage of her shock to leave the kitchen.

I take a big drink from my glass and take a deep breath. This whole conversation with Jennie has left my throat dry, but I still have to figure out how Jennie found out about me.

I walk into the garden and sit on the only empty wooden bench, as the others are filled with couples or circles of friends. I'm a little dizzy and need to calm down before talking to Jisoo.

I drink the rest of my drink and close my eyes as I feel the strong taste of vodka burn my throat.

"Is everything fine?" Jisoo's wonderful voice is present and she sits down next to me.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I play with the glass and avoid looking at her.

"I was going after you when I saw you and my ex talking, it looks like there was some tension there." She puts her hand on my knee and I stare at this movement.

"She came to tell me that she wants to win you back." I say still staring at her hand on my leg.

"And she went to ask you for help to do that?" Her tone is surprised and irritated at the same time "Unbelievable. Jennie cheated on me and she still thinks we're getting back together. I hope you don't help her with this failed plan she's coming up with."

"You really don't feel like getting back together with her? I thought you two were inseparable, especially after you got back together." I finally turn to face Jisoo and she is already staring at me.

"It was a mistake to have returned with her because she betrayed my trust." Jisoo says and a hurt glint crosses her eyes.

"That's exactly what I told her." I place my hand on Jisoo's face and lightly caress her cheek, taking her by surprise "That she betrayed your trust and you wouldn't trust her again." I give a half smile and Jisoo just nods in agreement with me, but she didn't move away when she felt my touch, maybe it's the sign I was waiting for. "There's something I need to tell you..."

"What is it?" she already has that curious look on her face, making my heart beat faster, and places her hand on my wrist, stroking it lightly.

"It's me." I say quickly and she furrows her brows in confusion.

"You what? I don't understand, Jinyoungie." She brings her face a little closer to mine and my breath catches in my throat.

"I'm your secret admirer." I say softly, but I'm sure she heard because Jisoo is totally surprised "When I told you that I tried to get close to you back in school, that's what I meant. I like you, Jisoo."