5. lover (alice)

It had been a few months since Jasper had broken up with Alice, when he had realized he was an asexual, aromantic. It hurt Alice deeply, but not as deeply as she had anticipated. Soon, her mind began spinning around a certain brunette. She sped over through the snow, to the tent, unzipped it, and heard a quiet voice mumble, "Edward?" 

"It's Alice, Bella." Alice replied, slightly annoyed.

"Oh." She tensed up, clearly feeling ashamed of herself for the mistake.

"It's fine, Bells." Alice whispered, smoothing out the crease between Bella's eyebrows with her thumb. Alice wished she wasn't so anxious all the time.

"It's not, I'm sorry." 

"Really, it's fine. I just don't get why you're still with my brother."

"He's easy, gentle. You're so... intense, Alice. It turns me on, but terrifies me."

Alice laughed and kissed her collarbone, Bella softened at the touch, a small smile curving on her lips. This was all Alice needed: the smile on her lover's mouth, the blood in her cheeks, the pulse beneath her skin. Human.

Alice heard light footsteps, Edward was coming. She distanced herself from Bella, and as usual when he was around, she began memorizing the members of each vampire coven. The tent was unzipped, and the room was filled with a light cologne smell that made Bella noticeably flinch.

"Oh." Edward glanced inside the tent, a surprised look on his pale face. 

"Alice, what are you doing in here?" 

"I was just leaving, Edward." She squeaked, slowly advancing towards the exit. "I was helping Bella tidy up the tent!"

"Er, thanks, Alice." Bella mumbled, brushing her hair behind her ear, avoiding eye contact.

__________________________________

Hours later, the fight was over. Victoria was dead, and so were the newborns. Good riddance, Alice thought. However, one werewolf was severely injured, due to fighting off a newborn for his friend. Alice felt bad, even though this was the werewolf who had kissed Bella without her consent.

Bella was distraught, and strangely, so was Edward. He stopped hunting for a few weeks, there were purple blobs of misery under his eyes. It gave Alice a sense of deja vu, and she remembered how Edward looked after he left Bella last year. Interesting. Alice decided to keep that thought stored away in the many folds of her mind.