6. painkillers (bella)

Bella lay next to Jacob, his body was covered in sweat and encapsulated in bandages. They ran out of things to talk about, so they sat in silence. Jacob's room was small, with barely any furniture aside from a small bed and nightstand.

"Bella?" Jacob mumbled, groggily.

"Hmm?" Bella was glad the silence was being broken.

"Are you in love with Edward's sister?"

"Rosalie?" Bella asked, deciding that playing dumb was the best way to go about this.

"No, no, not the dumb blond." Jacob slurred, "The other one, the one who looks like a little fairy..."

"Oh." Bella was at a loss for words, she didn't want to lead Jacob on, but there was nothing else to do. She had to confess. For her and Alice's sake.

"Alice and I... we were best friends, and well, one day, it just was... more?" Bella had planned out what she would say to everyone when this day came, but the speech she had rehearsed had suddenly slipped from her mind.

"Oh..." Jacob whispered, he seemed confused. Maybe it was the painkillers that Carlisle put him on.

"Um. D-does Edward know?" Bella asked, hoping her internal prayers would be answered by some god or goddess.

"I don't know, Bella." Jacob replied. She could sense a hint of anger or frustration in his voice.

"Okay, well—" Bella was suddenly cut off.

"I kissed your boyfriend..." Jacob mumbled, harshly closing his eyes as tears began to form.

"Oh. Jacob, I know. I've known the whole time." Bella said, and sat up, then lightly wiped the tears from Jacob's eyes with her knuckles. Jacob let out a loud scream, and then clenched his teeth.

"Jake, are you okay?! Do you need more painkillers?" Bella hastily grabbed the bottle of painkillers from Jake's nightstand.

"No... It. Just. Hurts." More tears fell down his cheeks.

"Where does it hurt, Jacob?" Bella whispered, and began to unscrew the cap of the bottle.

"No. It hurts because I need him right now..."

"Who? Carlisle?" Bella was standing up and heading to the door.

"NO, I need Edward!" Jacob yelled, more tears spawning.

"I-I'll go get him, then." Bella raced to her truck, and hastily buckled her seatbelt. She needed to see Edward.

(author's note)

hi, again! this chapter was a whirlwind, i know. i strongly dislike bella as a character, so this chapter was fun to write! (i do love alice, though.) i hope someone has been reading this, as i have been working pretty hard on it. so if you read this, thank you so much. x