Thanksgiving plans

Dixon

My phone rang while I was hanging out with Brady. Dyson's name flashed across the screen.

"Hey, Dy."

Dixon, I'm inviting you to Thanksgiving. You can bring lover boy.

"Um, okay. Let me check with Brody." I cupped my phone and looked at Brady. "My brother is inviting us to Thanksgiving."

"What about your family?" Brady asked me.

"I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. What do you want to do?"

"You pick, baby boy." Brady smiled.

I nodded and removed my hand from the phone. "Yeah, we'll be there."

Good. I'll let Gertie know. Dyson ended the call.

I blew air past my lips when my phone rang again. This time was Decker. I answered it. "Yeah?"

Are you going to spend Thanksgiving with Dyson?

"Yeah, why?"

Dyson invited Kenzie and me.

"What about Ma and Dad?"

"I told Ma and Dad I wasn't spending Thanksgiving with Dad's family."

"Um, okay. Why?"

I refuse to spend time with our uncles, who care more about others than us.

"What do you mean?"

Uncle Elias offered Jordin a job at the construction site. You had to beg Uncle Gabe for a job. Does that seem fair to you?

"It's not like we're reliable. Would you hire us?"

That's not the point, Dixon!

"Then what is the point? You're starting to sound like Dyson."

Maybe Dyson is right when it comes to the family.

"Or you're letting your emotions get the better of you. I don't want to fight with you, Decker. I want to spend the holidays with my brothers."

Fine. Decker ended the call.

Next, Ma and Dad called me. They explained about Thanksgiving and what happened. I rubbed my forehead in frustration. After listening to my folks and telling them my plans, I ended the call.

Brady cocked his head and looked at me. "Issues?"

"My family makes no sense."

"What do you mean?"

"Dyson refuses to spend Thanksgiving with my folks. Decker isn't attending Thanksgiving on my dad's side because of my uncles. My mom offered for us to spend it with her family. Why does my family need to make a holiday so complicated?"

"You're family has issues."

"No kidding."

"Why does your brother have issues with your uncles?"

"Decker thinks Uncle Elias and Uncle Nate prevented us from getting a job with their businesses. But they didn't. We were a safety hazard at the construction site. Uncle Nate doesn't have any input from the restaurant. Uncle Gabe had concerns about us screwing up." I shrugged.

"You seem like the only logical one in your family."

"I learned a lot since Dyson moved out, and I've been working. You can't expect people to give you things. You need to earn them."