Conversation

Dyson

Gertie and Gabby returned from Christmas shopping. I helped them bring the plastic bags and set them on the table.

"How was your day, Dyson?" Gertie asked me.

"Interesting," I said.

Gertie and Gabby looked at me in confusion.

"Can I talk to you both?"

They nodded and followed me to the living room. We sat down. I told them about my aunt and cousins' visits and what we discussed.

Gertie and Gabby knitted their brows in concern.

"You were right," I told them. "I didn't realize others had endured problems. I had focused more on my situation."

"Dyson, your cousins endured a terrible situation. But they didn't falter or run. They fought. To overcome a hellish experience like that speaks volumes," Gertie said.

"I don't like the person I was. I like the person I am now."

"Then you need to talk to your dad and straighten things out with him."

"How do I do that?"

"You speak from the heart. Forgiveness is key. It doesn't make you weak but strong."

"Does the same apply to you?"

Gertie looked at me, knowing what I meant. She drew her brows together and nodded before turning to Gabby. "There's something I need to tell you."

*****
Gabby

Grams took my hands in hers and told me about the night of the accident. I stared at her with furrowed brows. I couldn't believe my grandfather had killed my parents. It felt like someone knocked the wind out of me.

"Gabby, I'm sorry. I should have told you," Grams said.

"Why didn't you?" I whispered as tears dropped down my cheeks.

"It's not something you tell people. I can't change the past or bring your parents back. I wish I could."

I wiped the tears from my cheeks and cleared my throat. "Where is my piece of a shit grandfather now?"

"Rotting in prison where he belongs."

I nodded in agreement.

"I can forgive many things but not that. That was my child. Your grandfather took him from me. But he didn't take you from me." Grams covered my hand and rubbed it.

"I don't blame you for not telling me."

Grams cocked her head and studied me.

"How do you tell someone that a family member took another person's life?"

"After the accident, I turned to God and asked why. Why would he take my child from me? Why would he take anyone's loved one from them? Why couldn't he save them? Then someone gave me powerful advice."

"What was that?"

"Death is not the ending, but the beginning. People perish so others can live. Your parents sacrificed their lives for yours."

"What?"

"It wasn't the seat that protected you. It was your parents. Your mom was driving when the accident happened. Your dad was in the backseat with you. He covered your body with his. That's what you hit."

I stared at Grams in shock. Memories of that night flooded me. I got scared in the backseat, so my dad sat with me. My head was in his lap as he stroked my head. I had fallen asleep. I woke up when the car jerked.