Interviews

"Pierre, the rumours are that you are now dating Brianna Vowles. That must be quite the change from the models you have been romantically linked to in the past."

This was the beginning. The very first reporter.

Paulo looked at me and gave an apologetic smile.

"What do you have to say?" the reporter probed when Pierre said nothing.

"I'm sorry, was there a question in there?"

The crowd laughed and the tension evaporated as they moved on to the next reporter with a reminder to keep the questions in relation to the teams and race day.

I thought we had gotten away lightly but the last reporter didn't care about the rules as much as the others who had asked about tactics and confidence levels going into the race. He held up a picture of a birth certificate and I leaned closer as I recognised both him and the name on the certificate.

"What the fuck?" I growled as I rose to my feet and sat Addie down on the chair. "Can you watch her?"

I didn't wait for an answer as I stormed my way through the paddock to where the interviews were. I never heard the question he asked but a silence fell over the crowd as I rounded the corner in time to see Pierre vault off the stage and into the media area.

"Pierre!" I screamed trying to get his attention but he was busy making his way to Trent Gordon who was still holding a copy of Adelaide's birth certificate. A few cameras turned my way as I followed but most were still focused on Pierre and the angry words he was having with Trent.

"What the fuck is your problem?" Pierre growled as he shoved Trent.

"No problem here," Trent laughed as he kept the paper up high for all the cameras to photograph. "I just want to expose the truth. See this line, it says Father: Unknown."

I finally made it through the crowd and ripped the page from his hands. "There's a permanent restraining order forbidding you from coming near me or my family, Trent. Get the hell out of here before I call the police."

He scoffed and looked innocently at the people around him. "Maybe we should call them, tell them what a liar you are. You do know it's illegal to lie on government documents, right. And we both know that Adelaide Mirabella Vowles' father is Erik Sorensen."

I felt sick as he publicly announced something that had been kept quiet for almost three years. Erik may have fathered a child but I never wanted him to know about it, not after what he did. And now the news would spread like wildfire, no doubt reaching Brixton Penitentiary where Erik was serving his 10 year sentence.

My hands clenched into fists as the man in front of me smiled and all the rage I had thought had disappeared over the years came back in a tidal wave. I didn't even feel the impact or see my hands move, but I heard the collective gasp as my fist broke Trent's nose before I was whisked away.

"Fuck, fuck, are you okay, ma cherie?" Pierre asked as he picked me up when my feet refused to walk and I wrapped my legs around his waist, burying my face in his neck.

"I just wanted to keep her safe from that monster." The tears spilled over as I realised I failed her. "I can't let him ruin her too."

"You're not ruined," he promised as he brushed my hair back and wiped my tears away. "Hear me, you're not ruined."

He carefully set me down on a bench and I looked around to see we were in the drivers room. Otmar filled the doorway behind him, a sheen of sweat on his face like he had run from his principal interview.

"Can you watch Addie please? I just need a few minutes."

He nodded, his worry increasing at the catch in my voice. "Your dad's already on his way."