Melbourne GP

Australia 2024

"Hey Christian," I greeted nervously as I sat in the master bedroom of our hotel suite, hoping Pierre was too busy playing with Addie in her room to overhear the phone call. "I was wondering if you remember making me a certain promise some 15 years ago?"

The Red Bull principal chuckled. "That depends, I don't have a spare seat."

"No, no, nothing like that," I rushed to clarify. "Pierre is very happy at Alpine. I was wondering if you could put me in touch with one of the Red Bull artistic pilots. I know I'm hoping for a miracle but it's for a top secret mission on Saturday after the wedding."

"Colour me intrigued. I'll make some calls and see who's available at such short notice."

I thanked him before bidding farewell and sending out a prayer that Christian could help because I hadn't been able to get this idea out of my head for two days. Knowing there was nothing else to be done until Christian called back, I focused on the paperwork in front of me. Mum had sent through the documents for Addie's new birth certificate and I slipped it into the folder with our marriage certificate that the celebrant needed on the big day.

It was like the stars had aligned and everything I thought I would never have was coming into fruition. Just thinking about how far I had come and how happy I was brought tears to my eyes and I swiped them away before they could fall on the important paperwork.

"Mon ange?" I looked up from the bed and found Pierre crossing the room, concern written on his face. "What's wrong?"

I held my hand out reaching for him, the sapphire engagement ring glinting under the chandelier, and he quickly took it as he climbed onto the bed.

"Nothing's wrong," I promised with a sniffle. "I love you so much and you make me so happy."

"Then why are you crying?" he asked softly, catching a stray tear with his thumb.

"Because I'm happy."

"I'm confused," he admitted as wrapped me in his arms. "That's twice this week I've found you in tears."

"I know, baby. It's just the closer we get to the wedding I find myself thinking about us and how much things have changed. You have made my life infinitely better, and Addie's too." Another wave of emotion washed over me and more tears spilled down my cheeks. "I can't wait to be your wife."

"Three days," he said with a growing smile. "It seems so close yet so far."

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day as I stood at the edge of the rooftop garden and looked at the city sprawling below. The sun was beginning its descent and the thousands of twinkling fairy lights came to life as a pair of arms curled around my waist and Pierre's trimmed beard tickled my neck and he kissed my racing pulse.

"What's on your mind, Mrs Gasly?"

I smiled at the name and turned in his arms so I could kiss my husband and tasted the subtle notes of the champagne he had used as a toast during our speeches.

"How perfect this moment is," I answered as I draped my arms around his neck and we gently swayed to the music playing at the other end of the roof. "I needed a moment to make sure it was real."

I could still feel the weight of the fountain pen in my hand, remember the strokes of the nib across the papers and the sight of my signature next to his. Husband and wife, mother and father. They were the two most important documents I had ever signed and I had trouble pushing away the memory of the marriage and birth certificate because they had made me unbelievably happy.