Turbulence

Ilies was kind enough to take Pierre, Addie and I to the airport early on Monday morning. Pierre had put his Audi on one of the car transporters heading to Alpine's mechanical headquarters in Paris and he would pick it up from there later in the week when he returned for some training. With the next race being in Canada there was a two week break so he was going to spend a few days in London with us as long as he kept up his fitness routine.

I was apparently the one in charge of making sure that happened but his personal trainer might have been shocked to hear that my idea of exercise involved us tangled in bedsheets. I kept that to myself of course and just agreed. As long as I got to watch while Pierre worked out in my home gym then it was a win-win to me.

"Thanks for the lift, Granny," I said as I kissed her cheeks after boarding the private jet.

"It's on the way to New York so it's no hassle, honey. Are you sure you don't want to come to Fashion Week with me?"

I grimaced at the idea. "And have you try to use me as a model again, no thanks."

"What?" she asked innocently as she buckled up into her seat. "You've got the legs for it."

"She's not wrong," Pierre whispered in my ear. "They are very sexy."

I elbowed him lightly but he just laughed it off and I continued on my way down the aisle. Two rows down I found dad, who was half asleep, and heading home to see mum. I sat Addie into the seat beside him and buckled her in before setting up her latest animated fixation, Mulan, on the screen in front of her.

"Let mummy know if you need to go to the loo," I reminded her before pulling the earphones over her head.

There was no reason to be all sat together so I passed the last two rows before sitting down. There was only the galley behind us but since the flight was a little over two hours I doubted anyone would ask for refreshments and we would be left alone.

"Are you okay?" I asked as we hit some turbulence coming into Heathrow and Pierre clutched the armrest between us. His eyes were closed and his lips pressed in a firm line as he nodded his head. He had been uneasy since takeoff but repeatedly lied and said he was fine. "You couldn't have picked a sport with more travel if you tried."

"I'm fine with flying...until it gets bumpy." He let me pull his hand from the leather material and replaced it with my own as we watched the GPS of the plane inching closer to the airport.

"Miss Vowles, Mr Gasly, if you could please fill these out before we land that would be wonderful," the stewardess said as she handed me three Passenger Locator Forms before moving on to dad.

I filled out mine and Addie's while Pierre did his but he took a little longer since he wasn't a UK Citizen like us and had more pages to complete. I actually had dual citizenship through the 'grandfather scheme' which meant I was entitled to apply for citizenship where my parents and grandparents were citizens. Legally, I could hold a passport of Mexico, the USA and the United Kingdom but I preferred to use my UK one since it had the least restrictions.

If Erik ever tried to petition for access to Addie and won, then she could have all three passports and a Norwegian one too.

The thought turned my mood sour and as we touched down on British soil I began to rue my decision to come back. I knew I needed to be here to pack up the house for the move and visit Dr Pascoe in person but there was always a little storm cloud in the back of my mind when I was in London.

The city was tainted of memories with Erik, the restaurants we had eaten at, the cinemas we have gone to. I couldn't even drive near Islington because that was where our house had been. Just thinking about it had the walls of the plane closing in around me and I reached for the paper bag in the storage pocket.