No Regrets

I was going crazy. I had to be.

Pierre had disappeared first, then Granny had excused herself with Matthew before Grandad skipped along after with a feeble excuse of wanting to get to know her new husband and make sure he was treating her well. Then Otmar said he needed to find Esteban but he had walked off in the opposite direction to where you could see his dark head of hair two tables over.

As I sat alone at the table, wondering what had happened to everyone, I looked around for a familiar face but instead I heard a giggle that I knew well. I spun around at the sound and froze as I found everyone that had gone missing and then some.

Pierre stood in front of all of our family that had flown in for the final race, Addie grinning from his arms.

Everyone was dressed in to the nines and they looked like they belonged on the red carpet they would have walked to enter the event. I had never seen my mum in a ball gown but she looked absolutely gorgeous, just like Pierre's mother, the two women linking their arms together as they smiled at me.

My eyes were drawn back to Pierre as he stepped forward and carried Addie with him, her excitement making her clap her hands. My heart started beating erratically with each step and I rose to my feet to meet him face to face.

"Pierre..." I whispered as he kissed Addie's temple and placed her feet on the ground.

"I have spent hours planning what to say, but when I look at you, I can barely remember how to breathe. I thought my life had purpose until the day you and Addie walked into my garage. You turned my world upside down and I will forever be grateful for finding the parts of me that were missing." Pierre gracefully dropped to one knee and took Addie's hand. "You make me want to be the best version of myself, to be a father that makes his little girl proud...and a husband that spends every day showing his wife she is loved. I can't do that without you, Bri. Will you marry me?"

I knew then why Granny had insisted on waterproof makeup as I tried to blink away the tears so nothing would blur the image of Addie handing Pierre a small white box. Pierre thanked her sweetly before peering up at me, his eyes shimmering with unshed tears while his fingers trembled as they opened the box.

I wasn't the only one that gasped as the three gemstones caught the lights. It was a beautiful ring; a large sapphire set between two diamonds that sparkled like the many shorelines we had walked hand in hand.

I had no words but I didn't need them. He knew me better than I knew myself and his smile widened as my bottom lip trembled and I nodded as more tears fell. My hand shook more than his as he slipped the ring onto my finger and kissed it before standing up, scooping Addie up with him. His arm curled around my waist and my feet were swept off the floor as he spun around to the cheers of our families and friends.

Our kiss held the hint of salt from our tears that united on our cheeks until Addie pushed her hand between us and we pulled away with a laugh.

"I can't believe you hid this from me."

Pierre rested his forehead against mine and sighed. "I never want to do anything like this again, I felt ill trying to keep this a surprise."

"Well, that's a good start," I teased, "it would raise a red flag if you wanted to propose again."

He chuckled and dipped his lips to my ears. "That's not what I meant."

I pulled away with a smile and waved my mum over. "I've actually got my own surprise. I was going to wait until tomorrow but since everyone is here...Mum?"

"Right here, honey," she said as she pulled the folded papers out of her clutch. "Been carrying these around all day just in case."

Pierre wet his dry lips with his tongue as he wondered what she was handing me. I let him take Addie's weight as I used both hands to unfold the documents that had been six months in the making.