Essay 7 - Code Geass and Guilty Crown

I wrote this at midnight. please spare me.

I've recently rewatched the anime Guilty Crown, and I must admit, the ending did make me a little emotional. I really liked how Inori goes from a blank slate to an actual character, with feelings, motives and an actual personality. And the pink hair was cool.

But while watching the show, I couldn't help but compare the main protagonist of Guilty Crown, a high school student named Shu Ouma, and Lelouch Lamperouge (or Vi Britannia) from Code Geass. Both are protagonists of anime series that share many similarities and parallels. 

Both of them are high school students who get involved in a rebellion against a tyrannical empire that dominates Japan with an iron, and violent, fist . Both of them obtain a supernatural power that effectively makes them Kings in some form. Both of them use their power to lead a resistance group and fight for the liberation of Japan. Both of them face moral dilemmas and personal tragedies as they sacrifice their friends and allies for their cause. 

However, Lelouch and Shu are also different in many ways. Lelouch is a charismatic and strategic leader who plans his moves carefully and uses his power to control others. He is confident and arrogant, but also compassionate and caring. He is willing to become the enemy of the world to create a peaceful future for his sister and humanity. Shu is a timid and reluctant leader who acts on his emotions and uses his power to draw out others' abilities. He is insecure and indecisive, but also brave and determined. He is forced to become the king of the world to save his sister and humanity from his incestuous sister. 

Lelouch and Shu are parallels to one another because they show different aspects of the same theme: the price of revolution. They both challenge the status quo and fight for what they believe in, but they also face the consequences of their actions and choices. They both inspire and betray their followers, but they also earn their respect and admiration. They live as heroes, and at some point become the enemy.

Shu, I think, grows more than Lelouch. Throughout the show, Shu changes dramatically from a depressed and lonely individual to a blind, lonely person. Okay, that doesn't make it sound like anything happened, but he has changed. He starts off as a passive and indecisive person who lacks confidence and self-esteem. He often follows others' opinions and orders without questioning them, and avoids taking responsibility for his actions. He is also afraid of hurting or losing his friends, especially Inori , the singer of Egoist and his love interest. However, as he gets involved in Funeral Parlor's missions and battles, he gradually learns to be more assertive and courageous. He begins to understand the meaning and consequences of his power, and how to use it wisely and effectively. He also develops a sense of justice and leadership, as he inspires and protects his allies with his charisma and determination. He becomes more independent and confident in his own decisions and beliefs, even if they go against others' expectations or wishes.However, Shu's character development is not always positive or linear. He also experiences moments of doubt, guilt, anger and despair, which affect his personality and behavior. For example, after witnessing the death of his friend Hare, he becomes ruthless and tyrannical, imposing his power over his classmates and creating a dictatorship-like system in his school. He also becomes cold and distant towards Inori and his other friends, losing his compassion and empathy.Later on, after losing his right arm and his power to Gai Tsutsugami, the former leader of Funeral Parlor who turns out to be his step-cousin and rival, he falls into a state of depression and self-pity. He isolates himself from everyone and blames himself for everything that has gone wrong. He also loses his will to live and fight, until he is encouraged by Inori and his friends to regain his courage and hope.In the final arc of the show, Shu faces his ultimate challenge: to stop Mana Ouma, his older sister who is possessed by the Apocalypse Virus that threatens to destroy humanity. He also has to confront Gai again, who has been revived by Mana and opposes Shu's plan to save the world. In order to do so, Shu sacrifices his own life by absorbing all the Voids and the virus into himself, becoming a martyr for mankind's sake.Shu's character development throughout Guilty Crown is complex and dynamic, as he changes from a timid and insecure boy to a brave and heroic man. He also shows various aspects of his personality, such as kindness, loyalty, anger, cruelty, sadness and love. He is a flawed but relatable character who struggles to find his place and purpose in a chaotic world.

And then there's Lelouch (whom I by far prefer to Shu) who starts off as a rebellious and arrogant prince who despises his homeland of Britannia and seeks revenge for his mother's death and his sister's disability. He is gifted with a supernatural power called Geass, which allows him to command anyone to obey him once. He uses this power to create a persona called Zero, the leader of a resistance movement against Britannia.
As Zero, Lelouch becomes a charismatic and ruthless strategist who inspires loyalty and fear among his followers and enemies. He is willing to sacrifice anyone and anything for his goals, which he claims are to create a peaceful world for his sister Nunnally. However, he also struggles with guilt and doubt over his actions, especially when they cause harm to his friends and innocent people. He often questions his own morality and motives, wondering if he is a hero or a villain.
Throughout the series, Lelouch faces many challenges and conflicts that test his resolve and character. He encounters old friends and foes who have their own agendas and ideals, such as Suzaku Kururugi, his childhood friend who serves as a Britannian soldier, and C.C., the mysterious girl who gave him Geass (and who also becomes his sole real friend and confidant). He also confronts his father, Charles zi Britannia, the emperor of Britannia who has his own plans for the world and Geass. He also deals with the consequences of his Geass, which sometimes backfires or goes out of control, for example when his carelessness leads to Euphemia committing genocide despite it being against her will.
By the end of the series, Lelouch has changed dramatically from his initial state. He has experienced loss, betrayal, love, hatred, joy, and sorrow. He has learned more about himself, his family, his enemies, and his allies. He has realized the true meaning of Geass and its implications for humanity. He decided, to save his friends, his family, and to clean the image of Euphemia, by making himself the enemy of mankind. He dies to save everyone, and forces his childhood friend and enemy Suzaku, to become Zero.

Power corrupts, power changes. As one of my favourite authors, Miles Cameron,  wrote in a book called 'The Dread Wyrm' :

Some are born to power, some seize it, and some have the wisdom never to wield it.

Power corrupts people, and in the wrong hands, it can cause a catastrophe. Perhaps one could even argue that no one is even meant to have such power, because as soon as we get it, we become a twisted shadow of who we once were.