Chapter Sixteen : Sundown

TRIGGER WARNING : mentions of abuse

Read with caution

WICKED COMPOUND

DAY 3647 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

00:12 HOURS

Buck

"They're ugly as fuck." I tell Thomas softly as he showed me the Greiver things WICKED was cooking up in one of their labs. "What's it for?"

"I donno." Thomas says as he taps the glass with his fingers. "I make the Maze, but these things are not my forte."

"Interesting." I muttered under my breath.

I notice out of the corner of my eye, Thomas is staring at me with this stupid grin across his face. I want to tell him to fuck off, but I can't, it's just too damn cute, but I never give him the satisfaction of thinking I like him looking at me the way he does. Some may call it creepy, but there's this softness in the way he thinks of me. It's like he's never seen a beauty like the one before him, but I am no beauty. Not with this scar across my face.

"You wanna see some other stuff I've been working on?" Thomas asks and I give him a small smile with a nod.

And then off he went

With a skip in his step.

THE GLADE

DAY 368 IN MAZE TRIALS

17:35 HOURS

Buck

Minho had taken Thomas off into the Maze early this morning to go explore whatever the hell they were looking for. Minho had mentioned to me something about Section Seven before heading off to sleep for the night. After I had gone to give Thomas my jacket, I wandered over to the Mapping Room to check out what he meant. Thomas made the Maze, not me. He taught me things about it and I may have had an extremely good memory, but it couldn't have hurt to look just in case.

   The Maze, from what I saw on the maps, was split up into eight sections on the outer rim where the Maze walls grew wider and more spacious. It lined up with what Thomas had told me about before I was taken. The specifics about this section in particular were what Minho called the Blades, which were basically just a bunch of slabs of metal standing in the middle of the section.

   I remembered Thomas bragging about them to me once before the Maze. He told me their mechanisms and how they would swing shut when the Maze would change. He was always so caught up in the science of it all, but he never stopped to think about why they had him design it. Eventually he must have figured it out because here he is.

   It was late afternoon, about halfway through the day now, the sun starting to get lower which I tried not to pay attention to. Joey had Teresa stay by him the entire day, the guilt of knowing that he dropped her probably making him worry she could have had a concussion. Charlie was drawing pictures on one of the tables near Frypan's kitchen while I sat on a counter top while Fry got ready for dinner.

   Gally had walked over to join us probably about twenty minuets earlier and the first thing he talked about was how much he didn't trust Thomas. Over and over again he would say the same things about how everything started going wrong the moment he got there. I let him keep going while Fry kept trying to explain to Gally that things were changing because we were getting closer to a way out.