Chapter Fifty-Three : Red Red Red

ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

DAY 753 AFTER SOLAR FLARES

12:09 HOURS

Buck

My father is dead.

I had to kill him.

I didn't have a choice.

He would have done it himself.

I had to.

I had to.

I had to.

I had to.

SO WHY DOES IT HURT SO FUCKING BAD?

LAST CITY OUTSKIRTS

DAY 186 BACK IN THE SCORCH

13:46 HOURS

Buck

I turned around swiftly, the world turning from silence to chaos so fast that it made my broken head spin. I pushed Thomas forward along with the rest of the group as we followed the other screaming rioters, horror and fear filling the once enraged protest. Frypan didn't think twice before taking Charlie up in his arms and carrying the boy so that he didn't fall behind.

The bombs wracked the ground.

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

Dust and debris shot up from the ground as it shook like a vicious earthquake. My body screamed at me and I couldn't hear anything but my heart slamming against my chest with a strength I didn't even know was possible. Behind us, people who weren't fast enough were flung into the air from the missiles shot down from the sky. It was never ending never ending never ending never ending

Never ending.

WICKED was aiming for the people, something I never thought they would do despite their tendency for violence against the innocent. I started to wonder if maybe they knew we were here, and this whole mess occurred because we weren't careful enough.

Clouds of dust contaminated the air, making it almost impossible for anyone to see a damn thing. People were being hit left from right, panic perused, and then a shot got a little too close to me. I was flung off the ground and was slammed against a wall, but I paid no attention to my pain before throwing myself back to my feet. The ground shook vigorously, making it difficult to find my balance.

My dry throat coughed aggressively as the dust and dirt attacked my lungs, and I threw my forearm over my eyes, hoping to keep me from going fucking blind. I could barely see the others in front of me as we bolted for the way we came, slamming our way through people who were trying to escape just as we were. I placed one of my hands on the side of the concrete wall, using it as a guide to get out of this damn dust cloud.

With my feet pounding and my head screaming at me, I finally got out of the chaos, people still running around me, shoving me with their shoulders as they tried to get as far away from the courtyard as possible. Ahead of me, however, was the others, but they weren't alone.

The men with gas masks were tackling them to the floor, dragging them into the backs of their vans. I felt rage flow through my body, my hands reaching down to my scythes attached to my belt, my feet still pushing me forward even though they felt like they were going to fall off. Thomas saw me first, panic written across his face as he tried shouting something to me, but the whole world just jumbled into one coherent chaotic sound.