𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷

the general's daughter

os alta, east ravka

— SAOIRSE AVOIDED ALINA AFTER THAT DAY. She knew she couldn't be in the presence of the Sun Summoner without snapping at her. Logically, she knew it wasn't Alina's fault, but she still felt as though her father was pulling away in favour of her. They didn't speak as often or as freely. He spent more and more time with Alina, and if it wasn't bad enough that Saoirse already felt rather alienated in her own home, she now felt it with her only family too. And the longer she stayed away from Alina, the angrier she got.

Saoirse sat at the war table, observing the Fjerdan situation while the General replied to missives. She let out a bored sigh, then a thought struck her. "We should paint stars tonight." she suggested. It was something they did together when neither had time to spare during the day. They'd go out at night and pull on the immense shadows everywhere, covering the stars until there was nothing but darkness. Sometimes they'd cover all the stars but a few, painting shapes in the sky.

He looked up briefly. "Another time, perhaps. I'm rather busy of late, Little Shadow."

"So I've noticed." She muttered.

His brows drew together as he frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"When was the last time we talked about something other than the war or your plans for the Fold?" She demanded. "Because I can't remember."

"If you think this is easy for me-"

"It is easy for you!" she cried. "She is a Sun Summoner! As long as she's by your side, the hatred you feel lessens enough for you to breathe. When I'm by your side, they cower and accuse."

"You are accusing me," He said angrily. "Right. Now. If you believe for a moment that I would forsake you for the sake of Ravka's future, you are so very wrong."

"Prove it then." his mouth opened slightly, then closed. Saoirse clenched her teeth, biting back both anger and sadness. "That's what I thought." she stormed out before the shadows could respond to her emotions. She wouldn't let on how deep that knife struck.

She proceeded through the rest of her day as she normally would; training her summoning skills (she nearly destroyed the gardens), lunch (she didn't speak to anyone and left as soon as she could), combat training (she broke poor Malik's wrist) and reading (she managed that, at least). It was late when she realised she'd forgotten one of her history books in the war room. Slipping her robe over her nightgown, she padded almost soundlessly through the corridor. He'll be asleep by now, she reasoned. She was approaching his door when she froze. Something wasn't right. It was dark, yes, but it was too dark. These were his shadows. He was awake. She might have gone in anyway – just grabbed her book and left – but a second later, the darkness faded, replaced with a light too bright and pure to be a candle or a lamp. There's no way... but then she heard it. There was no mistaking Alina's soft voice. She remembered what her father had said earlier. He was busy tonight. He was tired. He couldn't spend time with her. But he has time for Alina. Betrayal turned to fury in her stomach, and before anyone could note her presence, she turned back around the way she'd come and returned to her room.