𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓮𝓷

new friends and new enemies

ryevost, east ravka

— SAOIRSE STEPPED OUT OF THE SHADOWS WHEN SHE HEARD THE INFERNI COMING. "Paulina," she begged. "I'm sorry. It wasn't meant to happen-" she was cut off by a ball of fire thrown at her head. She dropped to the ground and rolled away. "I didn't want to hurt your brother!"

"Traitor!" she screamed. Saoirse blocked the next fireball with shadow. "Murderer!" Paulina was practically upon her now, and Saoirse had no choice but to engage in combat with her.

"I was protecting my friend!"

"Your friend is nothing compared to what you already had!" Paulina snarled.

Saoirse pursed her lips, blocking the next few blows with ease. "Have it your way, then." she took the offence now, leaving the inferni woman struggling to keep up, to block and parry. Saoirse kicked her in the chest, sending her stumbling back, then rushed forwards, jumping and wrapping her arms around Paulina's waist and kicking her feet in a circle. The inferni woman was left reeling for a moment before she froze. Saoirse held the hilt of a shadow dagger to the inferni's chest. The blade wasn't formed yet, but if it did, it would pierce her heart. "Please. Don't make me do this." Paulina's lips pulled back in a vicious expression and her hands blazed. Saoirse cried out, the dagger forming fully in response to her pain. Paulina gasped, then fell to the floor, lifeless. Saoirse stumbled away, leaning against a wall for support and looking down to check the damage done. The corecloth of her coat saved her from most of the flames, but some of them had managed to slip underneath, burning easily through her shirt and leaving a painful black mark on her side. Taking a steadying breath, she pushed herself away from the wall and set off to find the others.

°

Kaz stopped in his tracks, watching the darkling approach him from the other end of the alley. He was so very different from his daughter, Kaz realised. Saoirse was cunning and proud, and she could be vicious, but she always carried a warmth with her. It showed every time she tried to make him laugh. It had showed back in Ketterdam when she offered food to street orphans. It was a glint in her eye and a quirk in her smile that never faded completely. The Black General was cold all the way through. His steps were malicious and his eyes were like frozen iron.

"I know you kidnapped my Sun Summoner," he said darkly. "And my daughter. And now you're going to tell me where you've stashed them."

Kaz backed up a step. "We didn't take them. Either of them. They both fled on their own."

That made him pause. Anger and disbelief flooded his eyes. "Where are they? I won't ask you again."

"I don't know where Starkov is. It was pretty clear she wasn't interested in being a captive anymore." he said. "And Saoirse..." Anger bubbled up in the pit of his stomach. She deserved a better family than this evil, self-serving bastard. Then why do you want her to stay with you? He pushed the thought away. "She's here with us. Perhaps if you'd taken the time to love your daughter and tell her the truth, she would've wanted to stand by your side."