i. The Minotaur Attack

CHAPTER ONE ( the minotaur attack )

CHAPTER ONE
( the minotaur attack )

CHAPTER ONE ( the minotaur attack )

    "MAIA, WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!"

    Mornings in camp were always the same for me. Sure, I always did my best to follow the same pace as my cabin members — who were the most morning people you'll ever meet — but it never worked out. There were times where I was so rushed into making it on time for breakfast at the mess hall, but ended up going out in my pijama pants. I will never get the image of the whole camp laughing at my sense of style, I even get chills just by thinking of it.

     Oh! Where are my manners? I haven't even introduced myself and I'm already ranting about my embarrassing memories. My name is Maia Díaz, I'm twelve years old, and I live in Camp Half-Blood, situated in Long Island. What's that, you may ask? Well, it's the only place on Earth safe for people like me; demigods.

     I'm sure you've already heard that term by now, but if you haven't, I'll give you a short explanation. Demigods are half-mortal and half-god, simple as that. And yes, before you freak out, the gods are real. I haven't met any of them, but from what I've heard, they're pretty cool. Only few in camp have had the pleasure to even be in the presence of them up in Mount Olympus, and I'm preparing myself for when I have the opportunity.

     I'm a daughter of Apollo, the Greek god of the sun and light, music, poetry, prophecy, etc. It is exhausting to say it every time someone asks, but I've gotten used to it by now. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't met any of the gods, which includes him. The sad part is that I'm not the only one with this type of luck; there's probably thousands of kids at camp who haven't met their godly parent just like me.

     Here at Camp Half-Blood, we're separated into cabins based on who our godly parent is. There's twelve different cabins, each of them for every god in Mount Olympus. I, obviously, stay in the cabin dedicated to Apollo — also known as Cabin seven — and I'm not alone. Some cabins are filled with demigods, while a few are empty. This indicates that there's no children of that god and just made out of respect. I suspect they're probably filled with cobwebs, and it's intended to keep them that way.