xxi. Bitter Reunions

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE ( bitter reunions )

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
( bitter reunions )

     ANNABETH VOLUNTEERED TO go alone since she had the cap of invisibility, but there was no way I was going to let her

     ANNABETH VOLUNTEERED TO go alone since she had the cap of invisibility, but there was no way I was going to let her. Percy backed me up and convinced her it was too dangerous. He suggested that we all went instead, to watch each other's backs.

     "Nobody!" Tyson voted. "Please?"

     But he came along in the end. We stopped at our cabin long enough to gather our stuff. No matter what happened or what we found out, we weren't going to spend another night on this creepy cruise ship. Tyson offered to carry everything, insisting to do so when Percy told him it wasn't necessary. Luckily for us, Tyson was able to carry four duffel bags over his shoulder as if it wasn't a big deal.

     We sneaked through the corridors, following the ship's YOU ARE HERE signs towards the admiralty suite. Annabeth had it easy and scouted ahead invisibly. We had to hide whenever someone rounded the corner, but most of the people we came across were glassy eyed passengers, stuck in a trance too.

     As we climbed up the stairs to deck thirteen, where the admiralty suite, Annabeth hissed, "Hide!" and pushed us into a supply closet.

     I could make out the footsteps of several people walking down the hall.

     "You see that Aethiopian drakon in the cargo hold?" a masculine voice asked.

     The other laughed. "Yeah, it's awesome."

     That voice. I recognized it – I just couldn't remember who it belonged to. Subconsciously, I took a step forward to the supply closet door as if this allowed me to hear properly. Annabeth saw me doing this and gripped my wrist tightly, still invisible, trying to prevent me from taking any other steps.

     "I hear they got two more coming," the familiar voice spoke again. "They keep arriving at this rate, oh, man – no contest!"

     The voices faded down the corridor.