v. An Opportunity Has Risen

CHAPTER FIVE ( an opportunity has risen )

CHAPTER FIVE
( an opportunity has risen )

CHAPTER FIVE ( an opportunity has risen )

NOTHING WAS NORMAL after that. In classic camp nature, Percy moved out of the Hermes cabin and into the abandoned Cabin Three. Annabeth still taught him Ancient Greek, and every day after the lessons she came to me with the same objective in mind; getting the planned quest. She spent the majority of our free time together trying to find a way to convince Chiron to let us go on the quest. This led me to involuntarily avoid Percy, but my mind was pretty much preoccupied with major things rather than to worry about waving in his direction. I couldn't help but grow bitter at this; it took me a whole week to be claimed by my own father and he just swoops in and gets claimed in a matter of days. Besides being a forbidden child of the Big Three, what was so special about him?

It was another ordinary day in camp, well, other than the obvious gloomy weather above us. The sky was painted in a murky gray and its clouds were darker than normal, filled with water, and a foggy blanket of rain was coming in our direction. I knew that camp didn't allow rain unless we wanted to, but the odd weather gave me a bad feeling.

I was too distracted in the sky to notice that my half-siblings had stopped their volleyball game, so I turned around due to the lack of noise and found them all staring up at the clouds. Will, who was still new to the way this world worked, seemed the most worried at the peculiar weather. Everyone else froze in their respective positions, even the satyrs on the opposite side of the net, leaving the old volleyball on the sand covered floor of the court.

"That's not good, right?" Michael stated the obvious.

"No, it isn't," Molly answered without taking her eyes away from the clouds.

"Come on, guys," Lee clapped his hands together. "Let's not let the weather distract us."

I heard footsteps due to the sound of the leaves crunching under the shoes, making my head turn toward the source of the sound. From my spot at the edge of the court, I saw one of the many Demeter kids in camp, Adeline, approach us with a sense of urgency behind their footsteps.