xvii. Family Dinner Goes Sideways

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ( family dinner goes sideways )

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
( family dinner goes sideways )

     AS WE MADE our way to the Big House, I gave Percy and Annabeth a quick recap of what they missed when they were gone, not diving deep into the details of the poisoning of Thalia's tree since I hoped Chiron would be able to explain before he left

     AS WE MADE our way to the Big House, I gave Percy and Annabeth a quick recap of what they missed when they were gone, not diving deep into the details of the poisoning of Thalia's tree since I hoped Chiron would be able to explain before he left. Some of the campers we passed on our way did double takes when they saw Tyson, but most just walked grimly past and carried on with their duties. None of that seemed to bother Tyson at all; he was absolutely fascinated by everything he came across with.

"Whasthat!" he gasped.

"The stables for pegasi," Percy explained. "The winged horses."

"Whasthat!"

"Um. . .those are the toilets."

"Whasthat!"

I made sure I was out of earshot from both Percy and Tyson before turning to face Annabeth. "So, what's the deal with, you know. . ." I trailed off.

She knew exactly what I was referring to. Her eyes flickered back to him for a second before focusing back on me. "Apparently, he's been with Percy all year. In his school."

I frowned since I couldn't help but find that strange. I saw the grim look in Annabeth's eyes, reflecting the imagery of a memory we both shared, and as much as I understood her feeling of resentment, I felt she was misplacing it.

"Hey," I tapped her on the shoulder. "Don't get all snappy with Tyson. He isn't that Cyclops." I meant those words for her, but it also felt like I was reminding myself of that too.

"I know that, but still. . ." Annabeth crossed her arms with a huff. She must've picked up on my first sentence, since her eyebrows raised in offense. "I do not get all snappy."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't."

"Yes. You do."