vii. Lost in the Woods Somewhere in New Jersey

CHAPTER SEVEN ( lost in the woods somewhere in new jersey )

CHAPTER SEVEN
( lost in the woods somewhere in new jersey )

     TO EVERY OTHER mortal out there, our latest events would've been seen as the worst luck you've ever had, but when you're a half-blood, you are just thankful that you're still breathing and in one piece

TO EVERY OTHER mortal out there, our latest events would've been seen as the worst luck you've ever had, but when you're a half-blood, you are just thankful that you're still breathing and in one piece. The biggest difference to me is that at least we know that someone is in fact messing with you from above. So there we were, Percy, Annabeth and Grover and I, walking through the woods on the New Jersey riverbank with the glow of New York City making the night sky yellow behind us and the reeking smell of the Hudson filling our noses. I did my best to keep up with the other's pace, but my lungs felt like they were on fire. Maybe running out of the monster's grasp wasn't the brightest idea for me, but I pushed myself forward. I couldn't be seen as the weak link in the group.

Grover was shivering, his big goat eyes turned slit-pupiled and full of terror. "Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

The explosion of bus windows still rang in my ears. My arms were wrapped around my figure due to the cool weather, but Annabeth kept pulling us along, saying: "Come on! The further away we get, the better."

"All our money was back there," Percy came to the realization. "Our food and clothes. Everything.'

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight – "

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?"

"You didn't need to protect me, Percy. I would've been fine."

"Sliced like sandwich bread," Grover put in, "but fine."

"Shut up, goat boy," Annabeth snapped.

Grover brayed mournfully. "Tin cans... a perfectly good bag of tin cans."

We sloshed across mushy ground, through nasty twisted trees that smelled like my cabin after a long week of not doing laundry. Annabeth walked a far distance in front of us to guide the way, even if she didn't know where she was taking us to.