Fang 5: Artemis Rod

When Zero woke up, there was a strange surprise waiting for him.

It was the Artemis Rod. It was innocently sitting at the end of the bed along with a note.

Zero curiously opened the note

I have been keeping this for safekeeping. Though in your hands, it might be safer.

Zero looked up to eye the rod cautiously. The last time he held it, it shocked him.

Zero reached for it, grasping it carefully. He held it in his hand for a moment and nothing happened.

"Don't you only answer to Yuki?" He asked, receiving no answer.

He sighed before deciding what to do with it.

In the end, he decided it was better to have it on hand than to leave it in his room unprotected. Though, was he going to have to wear it the way Yuki did?

Zero shuddered.

HELL NO!

He ended sticking the rod into his coat pocket as he got ready for class.

He left his room, watching other night students quickly walking out of their rooms and down stairs.

Unsurprisingly, he was the last one down to the main lobby though not as last.

Some students still gave him looks of disdain as he walked by them, completely ignoring them, settling near Shiki.

The other vampire gave him an indifferent gaze before the Night Class started to walk out the doors.

Zero and Yuki, mostly Zero, kept back all the Day Class students as they walked quickly to their classroom.

Zero sat at his desk near the window as he looked out the window to watch the sky change before class started.

After class, Zero decided to take a walk around the school to give himself some quiet time, but also to take a look at Artemis.

He held the silver rod in his hand as he willed it to extend into its full length.

He swing it around expertly, feeling the comforting weight of the rod.

"To change it into a Scythe..." Zero thought.

Zero closed his eyes as he felt his energy surge into the rod.

Then, he swung the rod revealing it to be unchanged.

Zero sighs.

"Well, perhaps it really responds to Yuki."

"So, what are you doing?" asked a familiar voice.

Zero looked up and turned to see Aido and Kain.

Zero smirks.

"So, why grace me with your presence?" Zero said, eyeing them with amusement.

"Kuran-senpai asked us to check on you to make sure nothing went wrong." Kain said lazily.

"How... generous of him." Zero said, though he was surprised and concerned with why Kuran needed to keep an eye on him more.

"You want a sparring partner?" Aido asked making Zero look at him with surprise.

"The great Hanabusa Aido want to spar? Aren't you scared you're going to break something?" Zero teased, making Aido growl.

"I can handle a little spar." Aido with a forced grin.

"Alright... Cause I'm coming at you with all I got." Zero said before he charged at Aido.

Kaname stood near the window as he watched the sparring match between Zero and Aido.

Aido expertly used his powers, creating obstacles for Zero. Though unsurprisingly, Zero dodged and countered the attacks, shattering the ice and stopping Aido pre-strike.

Kaname smirked, looking proud.

"Kaname-sama?" a voice called out to him as he turned to look at Ruka, standing in the doorway.

"Oh, Ruka. Is there something you need?" he asked.

"No. I was just wondering where you were." Ruka said as she stepped near the window to look at what Kaname was looking at.

Her body became tense, her blood running cold when she saw Zero.

She turned to look at how content Kaname was when watching Zero.

Zero was now speaking with Aido and Kain as the three left to go inside the dorms.

Ruka closed her eyes to calm herself as she left without a word to Kaname. Not that he noticed.

"That wretched disgrace..." Ruka hissed, her powers making the surrounding furniture shake.

Unbeknownst to her was the brunette vampire watching her with interest.

Once Zero made it back to his room, he placed his Bloody Rose gun and Artemis rod inside the side table near the bed.

He pulled his school coat off as he started to unbutton his shirt only to hear a knock at the door.

He frowned as he went to the door and opened it.

Then, he felt something in his mind, giving him a headache as he groaned, walking backwards before collapsing.

"I'm going to make sure you never see the sun again, Kiryu..."