Chapter Thirty-Six

Lord Lyonel briefed the council on the conflict brewing in the riverlands, though Darla paid him little mind. She stared over the man's shoulder at where Rhaenyra hovered by the wall. The Princess had sought out her father while Darla had been preoccupied, petitioning the man to allow her to speak to the council.

"It is Lord Blackwood's contention, therefore, that the Brackens moved the boundary stones in the dead of the night and put their horses to graze in his field." Lord Lyonel finished telling the Small Council of the tension between House Blackwood and House Bracken.

"Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover?" Alicent questioned as Lyonel paused for breath. "Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?"

"I've heard tale that Lord Grover's son now rules Riverrun in all but name." Lord Jasper Wylde, the Master of Laws, answered.

"Well, he is also a Tully, so is this not a Tully problem?" Darla replied, bored with the topic of discussion.

"I would agree." Viserys spoke, siding with his lover. Darla smiled sweetly at the man, placing her hand on his forearm in thanks. The king seemed to preen under his mistress's attention, straightening in his seat.

"If we may move on, my lords-" Lord Tyland began.

"And yet," Rhaenyra interrupted, stepping closer to the table. "The Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood. So, this dispute bears looking into," She looked to Lord Lyonel, addressing him. "There will be countryfolk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations."

"That is easy enough." Lyonel said.

"Of course." Alicent muttered into her cup.

Darla seethed in her seat, glaring at Rhaenyra as she took a seat in Rhaemon's empty chair, the boy having wished to spend time with Aemond after learning of that morning's incident in the Dragonpit.

"Ser Tyland?" Lyonel addressed the Master of Ships, giving him the chance to speak.

"We should address the latest developments in the stepstones, my lords."

"Will we ever be shut of that blasted place?" Viserys complained.

"If you ask me, I think the Blackwoods have the upper hand." Lord Beesbury spoke, adding to the former conversation.

"We've moved onto the stepstones, Lord Beesbury." The Grand Maester whispered.

"And the Triarchy's new alliance with Dorne." Ser Tyland added loudly.

"I was hoping our negotiations with Sunspear might persuade them to see reason." Viserys coughed. "To trust a Martell is to be disappointed."

"And where I wonder is our Prince Daemon?" Lord Jasper snidely questioned. "Or I suppose I should call him King, as he styled himself when he won a battle there once."